Pro Trinket Bootloader Problem

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Ronfinlay

Re: Pro Trinket Bootloader Problem

Post by Ronfinlay »

Thank you for this last bit of help. I think I'll be OK from here. It's wonderful to have such kind and generous people out their in the world willing to help. I appreciate you.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

No problem! Thanks for the kind words

TxPvCoach

Post by TxPvCoach »

WillDriessen wrote:Hello-
I just bought a 5V 16MHz Pro Trinket and I was very excited. So I unpackaged it, downloaded the correct IDE, changed the board and programmer settings(Pro Trinket 5V USB, USBtinyISP). Everything seemed to be in order, then I grabbed a proven correct Micro-Usb cable and plugged in my Pro Trinket(I have a Macbook OSX 10.6.8 with the 1.0.5 IDE). When I plugged in the trinket and pressed the bootloader button, instead of the nice pulsing bootloader LED I was expecting, I got a green power LED and a red LED blinking twice then off for a second on a loop. Then I tried pressing the button and uploading the basic Blink code but I got the error- avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)[/color]. So then I tried using a new port, a new cord, a powered USB 2.0 hub, and nothing seems to be working. I am very lost and don't know what to do. I don't know if it is my computer or if I just missed something.

Thanks for all the help in advance, it means a lot.

~~Will
I am using new trinket pro 5v/16mhz
I have added 10k resistor from rcv->+5pin
Blinking red But changes when I reset but receive same error, I am using your ftdi cable.
No joy....
Arduino IDE 1.8.4. ,Adafruit AVR 1.4.9 ,Mid 2009 MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Help!
I am having way too much fun ...but I want to get to working with my NeoPixel rings,strings,matrices, etc which I’ve already bought.
Thanks for help in advance!

adafruit_support_rick

TxPvCoach wrote:But changes when I reset but receive same error,
The same error as what? The post you quoted reports the error
TxPvCoach wrote:Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)
Is that what you're seeing?

If so, then you have the wrong board type selected. You say you're using an FTDI. In that case, you need to select the board type 'Pro Trinket 5V/16MHz (FTDI)'

makerbotspace

Post by makerbotspace »

I have 3 triket pros i'm using in a project. One of them has stopped resetting. When I press the reset button the power light flashes once and I can't upload code. I was able to plug one of the other trinket pros into the same breadboard and program it and everything is working. I've tried to reburn the bootloader from an uno and get image failed :(. Is there anything else I can do?

adafruit_support_rick

The Trinket Pro may have gone bad. Please email [email protected] with a link to this post for a replacement

makerbotspace

Post by makerbotspace »

makerbotspace - ORDER #1562887- Thank you

vennnnnstarrrrrr

Post by vennnnnstarrrrrr »

hi, I had the same problem but my error is different. can you tell me what I should do to make it work.

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows Store 1.8.10.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Adafruit Trinket 8MHz"

Sketch uses 672 bytes (12%) of program storage space. Maximum is 5310 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes of dynamic memory.
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.10.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.10.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -pattiny85 -cstk500v2 -Pusb -Uflash:w:C:\Users\venik\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_100999/Blink.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.10.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

An error occurred while uploading the sketch
Using Port : usb
Using Programmer : stk500v2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

avrdude done. Thank you.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

adafruit_support_rick

You have the programmer set to stk500v2. You need to go into the Tools menu and change the programmer selection to "USBtinyISP"

Willthethrill

Post by Willthethrill »

I am also having this problem. I bought a Trinket and a ProTrinket and cant get the flashing to stop on the pro. The Trinket's LED just sits in a semi-on state. I have tried resistors and reprogramming the bootloader. None have worked. Pushing the reset button has no effect.

I have been following the Trinket (https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... troduction) and ProTrinket (https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... t/overview) guides.

ORDER #1642662-1436673198
I purchased them Jan 3, 2018.

Video Link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WKocovcQ9yBKzY5s2

adafruit_support_rick

Weirds. Never seen exactly that behavior before.
Please email [email protected] with a link to this post for a replacement ProTrinket

anthonyrubalcaba

Post by anthonyrubalcaba »

Hello,
I'm running a NeoPixel 144/m strip 30 pixels long off a Trinket Pro 3V. When I run the Trinket connected to USB power everything works fine. When I try connecting the Trinket Pro to a 3.3V LiPoly battery the red LED blinks twice then off, and repeats that on loop, and the strip never lights up. The green LED is steady on. I tried googling the issue but the only result with the same issue is here and yall recommend adding a resistor between 3V and RX, which I tried but no joy. The only other option in this forum post is to return the Trinket for a replacement. I tried the same thing with a Trinket 5V and getting the same issue (works on USB, not on battery) so I don't think it's a faulty Trinket. I've also tried multiple LiPoly batteries, both fully charged and delivering 4.12 V and no joy.
Any ideas?

adafruit_support_rick

Hi - sorry for the delay in responding. Please post some pictures of your connections to the battery and the strip

anthonyrubalcaba

Post by anthonyrubalcaba »

I had the strip connected to USB instead of the Vout so of course it only worked on USB and not battery. It's working now, thanks though!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”