Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Gemma and Port Busy
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Gemma and Port Busy

by Alieno77 on Mon May 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Dear Forum,
i try to explain, i'm italian and have a poor english,.
it's been month that i'm trying to fix this problem.
Windows 7, Arduino 1.6.7, Gemma 8Mhz. Select on arduino board "adafruit gemma 8 mhz, com1, USB tinyISP". Into the device manager appear "libusbK Usb Devices -> usb tiny isp"

When try to upload or use "serial monitor", it give me "error opening serial port "COM1" (Port Busy)".
I try also in my other pc and online on codebender. (and it say "The specified port might not be available")

I try to find why that port is busy, but find nothing! :( Same thing with Arduino 1.6.9

Someone can help me?

Alieno77

Re: Gemma and Port Busy

by adafruit_support_rick on Tue May 17, 2016 10:22 am

The Gemma does not use a serial port. Do not set it for Port 1.
But it should not be possible to set a serial port when the gemma is selected as the board type.

Do you have an Adafruit Gemma, or an Arduino Gemma? The Arduino Gemma is a green/blue color. If you have one of these, you must set the programmer type to "Arduino Gemma". The Adafruit Gemma is black, and uses the USBtinyISP programmer type.

adafruit_support_rick

by Alieno77 on Wed May 18, 2016 9:54 am

Dear, my gemma is "Adafruit GEMMA v2 - Miniature wearable electronic platform PID: 1222"

I follow this guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... troduction

This is my configuration on Arduino IDE:
arduino gemma configurazione.jpg
arduino gemma configurazione.jpg (88.52 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

But when press "serial monitor", always this error:
Errore nell'apertura della porta seriale "COM1" (Port busy)
Arduino:1.6.9 (Windows 7), Scheda:"Adafruit Gemma 8MHz"

Maybe I must replace the file "LD.EXE" in hardware -> tool -> avr -> avr -> bin?

Alieno77

by adafruit_support_rick on Thu May 19, 2016 9:31 am

Can you un-check COM 1?

You may need to re-install the Board Package.

If that doesn't help, you may need to re-install Arduino

adafruit_support_rick

by adafruit2 on Thu May 19, 2016 11:57 am

Gemma does not have a serial monitor
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Even though Gemma has a USB connector, it does not have a "Serial Console" capability, so you cannot use Serial to send and receive data to/from a computer!

adafruit2
Site Admin

by tzikis on Fri May 20, 2016 3:28 am

Just to add my two cents here as well (since I'm the founder of codebender). As others mentioned, Gemma doesn't have a serial monitor, and it doesn't show up as a serial port. So Upload (what we call Run on Arduino) should work fine as long as a Gemma is connected, and codebender fully supports it so it will work properly.

But if you try to open a Serial Monitor that won't work

If you're having any issues with programming your Gemma on codebender, feel free to contact us directly as well. That shouldn't happen and we'll do all we can to help you out

Cheers!

tzikis

by Alieno77 on Mon May 23, 2016 2:20 pm

I try with my father's pc with windows 10 and I did the same step from the guide on adafruit blog! But now all work fine!!! :) so:
- When plug the Gemma appear "port 2" (instead of only port 1)
- if press button "serial monitor", no error appear in arduino
- I upload the sketch "blink!" with no problem and it work!

So i suppose it's a windows 7 problem? I remember all that I tried in 3 different PC (all with windows 7) and some months ago I had no problem when I work on a "trinket 8 Mhz" (and now it doesn't work too on w7)

What do you think?

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Can you un-check COM 1?

You may need to re-install the Board Package.

If that doesn't help, you may need to re-install Arduino

No, I can't un-check. I have yet reinstalled everything in 2 different pc.

adafruit2 wrote:Gemma does not have a serial monitor
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Even though Gemma has a USB connector, it does not have a "Serial Console" capability, so you cannot use Serial to send and receive data to/from a computer!

I press it only because previously, when i used a trinket, that messagge error doesn't appear...and, as you read above, on w10 dont' appear.

tzikis wrote:Just to add my two cents here as well (since I'm the founder of codebender). As others mentioned, Gemma doesn't have a serial monitor, and it doesn't show up as a serial port. So Upload (what we call Run on Arduino) should work fine as long as a Gemma is connected, and codebender fully supports it so it will work properly.

But if you try to open a Serial Monitor that won't work

If you're having any issues with programming your Gemma on codebender, feel free to contact us directly as well. That shouldn't happen and we'll do all we can to help you out

I try on Windows10 and it work! If you want I open a post in codebender forum (or contact directly), tell me! Maybe it's a bug and this discussion can help other people?

Alieno77

by adafruit_support_rick on Mon May 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Windows problems are difficult to diagnose.

Have you tried deleting the driver? Then re-install it?

Does the Gemma appear in Device Manager in Windows 7? It should appear under "libusb-win32 devices" as a USBtiny.

adafruit_support_rick

by tzikis on Tue May 24, 2016 5:15 am

@Alleno77, yes, if you could try Contact Us on http://feedback.codebender.cc/, we can help you out, look at the logs, and see if we can find the issue

for what it's worth, you mentioned the Serial Monitor again, that won't work for Gemma because it doesn't support it

tzikis

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.