🔮Adafruit sale all weekend long – use the code ADATHX for 15% off! 🔮

Dusting off another kit I bought long ago!
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Dusting off another kit I bought long ago!

by gadget_fan on Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Apparently I was flush with extra cash a few years ago because I have a box full of Adafruit kits I purchased all at the same time. Finished my "Ice Tube Clock" kit over the weekend and now I of course feel compelled to hack it! Well it seems like if I want to try a custom firmware my first step is going to be to build the second kit I had in the box, the USBtinyISP so I can program a new atmega chip. It looks to be a 2.0 kit but it is probably 4 years old at least. For my clock I posted asking about any advice, issues, changes, hacks I should be aware of so I guess I am looking for the same information for this project.

Are there any issues that were found with the kit? Any parts that I either need to replace or that would be wise to replace/upgrade right out of the chute?

Any advice on building the kit that will save me some pain and suffering?

Any good hacks?

Also, I see in the instructions some suggestions on using some resistors vs using jumpers on a couple of spots depending on what you are going to program. Should I go ahead and install the resistors if my first device to program is the Ice Tube Clock, or install jumpers? Anyone ever do a hack with a switch or something to swap between resistors and jumpers? Would that be worth doing?

Any help is appreciated, so far I haven't even opened the bag yet, just thought I would start here.

Thanks!

gadget_fan

Re: Dusting off another kit I bought long ago!

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:59 am

This is one of our earlier kits (product ID #46) and hasn't changed much over the years. So I believe what you have is current.

For most purposes, you will want jumpers for R4 and R7. Several users have installed switches to bypass the R4 & R7 resistors.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.