Arduino stepper motor shield question
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduino stepper motor shield question

by Philk on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:17 pm

So after trying to solder together a board with the TB6612 H Bridge and ending up burning out my arduino (At least that's what i'm assuming happened), i've decided to keep it simple and purchase the Stepper Motor shield v2.3.
Before I purchase the unit, i'm trying to verify the code under the IDE. Following the instructions from the site, I download the library and open "stepper test"
All seems well and good except when I try to verify the code, it comes out with and error that it cannot find Adafruit_Motorshield.h. It says "no such file or directory" to be exact.
The file is there under the adafuit_motorshield directory folder, I'm not sure why it doesn't see it. Maybe I have to move it to a different location?

Philk

Re: Arduino stepper motor shield question

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:41 pm

If the folder containing the library has the '-master' suffix created by Github, try removing that. Some versions of the Arduino IDE refuse to open library folders whose names contain dashes.

adafruit_support_mike

by franklin97355 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:42 pm

The file is there under the adafuit_motorshield directory folder
If you are using windows is it under C"\Users\<username>\Documents\Arduino\libraries\adafruit_motorshield?

franklin97355

by Philk on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:26 am

I've tried both with and without dashes. I'm using a linux based system (Ubuntu) it's under home/sketchbook/adafruit motorshield. Would it be possible to copy the coding found within the adafruit_motorshield.h and paste it somewhere else?

Philk

by Philk on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:08 pm

I'd be damned, I fixed it!
1) I had to put all the .h and .cpp files into one folder
2) I had to put that folder into the libraries sub directory under sketchbook (It has to be in a folder of it's own, having the files floating alone in the libraries directory won't help)
3) I had to go back through all the codings and delete "utilities" from the intro of the codes such as: "<Utilties/Adafruit_MS_Pwmservodriver.cpp>"

Now I can go ahead and order the shield in confidence.... or at least until I blow that out too.

Philk

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:59 am

Yes, The IDE is fairly picky about library location and structure. Anything out-ot place and it will refuse to load it.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-all ... -libraries

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.