Serial usbmodem port stopped working

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
odonovanpm

Serial usbmodem port stopped working

Post by odonovanpm »

I undertook the Arduino IDE setup and library installations as per the instructions in the FLORA starter pack. After following all of the instructions I successfully loaded a sketch on the board to flash the LED. However, at some point the serial port disappeared from Arduino, which prevents the uploading of new sketches. The USB does not appear to be listed in my connected devices, however, the FLORA board is still being powered through the USB cable (i.e. LED is blinking as per the original sketch). I tried to change USB cables, and ran Arduino on both Mac and Windows OS's.

Although I am new to wearables, I feel the board is in some way faulty. When I requested a return, customer service suggested posting the issue here before returning the starter pack.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Serial usbmodem port stopped working

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

What happens when you press the reset button? Does the red LED begin to fade in and out?
If that doesn't happen, you may have to 'double-click' the reset button.

Also, try the reset procedure outlined here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... /faq#faq-2

odonovanpm

Post by odonovanpm »

When I click the reset button the red LED phases in/out as described. However, the reset option did not fix the issue (see attached).

The frustrating thing is that I was able to see the port, and upload a sketch previously. I connected the accelerometer with alligator clips and reconnected the board and the serial port was gone.
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-08-29 13.41.24.png
Screenshot 2016-08-29 13.41.24.png (345.15 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

adafruit_support_rick

You probably have a bad USB cable. If the red LED is pulsing, then the bootloader is working. Try some different cables, try some different ports, try a USB2.0 hub

odonovanpm

Post by odonovanpm »

I tried multiple USB cables, on multiple computers including the one provided in the kit. More importantly, why would it stop working after an hour?

adafruit_support_rick

Well, I don't know. We can replace the flora. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

odonovanpm

Post by odonovanpm »

I have requested a replacement unit from customer support. There definitely appears to be an issue with the USB interface - when I connected the board to another MS Windows PC (after installing Arduino and board drivers I received another error (attached).
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.45 KiB) Viewed 1533 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you had the Bluetooth serial port selected up above - you need to fix that to the right FLORA USB port :)

odonovanpm

Post by odonovanpm »

Apologies, but I do not follow your reference - the problem is that I cannot the FLORA USB port is not visible in the Arduino IDE.

zgurga2295

Post by zgurga2295 »

Please help as soon as possible,

I am using my Arduino Uno board on my mac, and when I first downloaded the software and hooked up the Arduino Board to my computer, I was successful. I am trying again and my port is missing it was a usbmoden1142 port and when I look in the tool bar, the only available ports are the bluetooth ports. Why would my port have gone missing? How can I get the port back? I tried using the bluetooth ports but they won't run my programs.

odonovanpm

Post by odonovanpm »

I received a replacement board and it worked fine. Therefore, it would appear my board entered a faulty state.

adafruit_support_rick

zgurga2295 wrote:Please help as soon as possible,

I am using my Arduino Uno board on my mac, and when I first downloaded the software and hooked up the Arduino Board to my computer, I was successful. I am trying again and my port is missing it was a usbmoden1142 port and when I look in the tool bar, the only available ports are the bluetooth ports. Why would my port have gone missing? How can I get the port back? I tried using the bluetooth ports but they won't run my programs.
Have you tried some different USB cables? Also try a different USB port on your computer. You can also try a USB 2.0 hub.

Also, try rebooting your Mac.

zgurga2295

Post by zgurga2295 »

I tried rebooting my mac, using another usb port and another usb cable. Still not able to find the port. I tried hooking it up to a windows computer and was still unlucky in getting the Arduino board to run, the other computer was not able to find any ports. Do you think it is a faulty board?

adafruit_support_rick

Sounds like the Serial-USB chip got corrupter somehow or failed. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement Uno

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”