ESP32 Arduino IDE

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Johannes1306

ESP32 Arduino IDE

Post by Johannes1306 »

Hi

I just recently bought the ESP32 Dev Board and was happy about receiving it in time for my Master's Thesis about IoT application layer protocols. During my research I always thought ... something that has WiFi and BTLE would be kinda perfect.
At first I found HappyBubbles what has both with an additional BTLE Chip attached to the ESP8266. Further researches brought up the new about ESP32. Now that I finished all the theoretical stuff and in addition to the practical soldering and programming on the ESP-01 I wanted to create something similar to HappyBubbles ... just very rudimentary but enough to prove that its gonna be very easy to combine the low energy WSN with a MQTT broker e.g.

Now I read, that you will just provide this to the community of advances hackers ... Is there any chance you'd provide me some first version so I can at least add some basic stuff in my Thesis?

I'm not angry if not as it was my fault .. I did not read the whole thing because I was so excited about that there was actually a new chip with the functionality I thought could be the next thing for IoT ...

I'm grateful for any response!

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend!

Johannes

adafruit_support_mike

Re: ESP32 Arduino IDE

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

At the moment, the Arduino IDE doesn't support the ESP32.

It's not a situation where we have code and will only provide that to a select few. The ESP32 is in the part of its lifecycle before all the code that will make it easy to use has been written.

We list it for advanced hackers because those are the people with the tools and experience to start with a raw chip, a datasheet, and a logic analyzer, and get the chip to respond to any external stimulus at all. Then someone will have to go through and write code that exercises the chip's features. Then will come the process of writing a bootloader and all the support code that will make it work with the Arduino IDE. Along the way there will be a lot of trial, error, learning, and debugging.

The most up-to-date information that exists for the ESP32 will be at http://www.esp32.com/

Johannes1306

Re: ESP32 Arduino IDE

Post by Johannes1306 »

Hi Mike,

thank you very much for your quick and detailed reply!
That makes sense. So I'll be patient for the Arduino IDE support.

Thanks to all making this happen!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”