Arduino (Uno R3) - v1.3 VS acrylic board

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Novel_Lifter

Arduino (Uno R3) - v1.3 VS acrylic board

Post by Novel_Lifter »

I am 100% new to Arduino. I just purchased the Adafruit ARDX - v1.3 Experimentation Kit for Arduino (Uno R3) - v1.3. The directions state to mount the arduino board onto the acrylic board, BUT the nut is too large to secure next to the power in. Page 02 of the included guided suggests that a screw with 2 nuts (one on bottom of arduino and one on top) should be placed in the bottom right hand corner of board. If I try to secure the second nut on top of the board, it hits the power in and will actually start to flex the screw and I am unable to tighten it fully. My questions are...

1) What am I doing wrong?
2) Is there a design flaw with the directions or board?
3) Did I receive the wrong size nut?

Thank you for your help and patience.
No room to tighten screw
No room to tighten screw
IMG_1459.JPG (75.26 KiB) Viewed 2192 times

adafruit2

Re: Arduino (Uno R3) - v1.3 VS acrylic board

Post by adafruit2 »

if you can't tighten it, that means its attached well!

Novel_Lifter

Post by Novel_Lifter »

Thank your for the reply admin. But I can't tighten it because the nut literally will not thread or turn since it hits the power in. In the picture, it is just resting on top, not threaded. Although new to arduino, I have mastered the art of threading a nut on a screw. Any more suggestions?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

You could cut the nut so it fits and then unthread the screw until the nut is against the board and then thread the bolt back in turning the bolt rather than the nuts.

Novel_Lifter

Post by Novel_Lifter »

I will try that. Thank you!

frank23

Post by frank23 »

For what it's worth, I had the same experience with the size of the 4-40 nut relative to the power connector that its mounting location is adjacent to. As a workaround, I stacked the nut, the Arduino, the second nut and the acrylic plate together, and then very carefully inserted the 4-40 x 0.5" screw through all four of them in one go. This took a couple of tries, but I was able to get a secure fit given that the topmost nut was unable to turn given its position next to the power connector. This didn't require cutting the nut.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”