bluetooth, motors and pot...

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hbojorquez

bluetooth, motors and pot...

Post by hbojorquez »

Ok-
I need help.
I can hack and code my way through most anything.
But I can't seem to get the parts and tuts for what seems simple enough.
I'm just trying to create a servo motor that is wirelessly controlled by a pot through bluetooth.
The receiver- 1) A motor (servo, stepper would be nice) hooked up to one Arduino with a Bluetooth module.
The transmitter - 2) A potentiometer (a POT) hooked up to transmitter Arduino with a Bluetooth module.

The code will turn the motor in both directions, at a speed in relation to the speed of how quick I turn the POT-- honestly -- I can figure out the code-- that's not my issue.

Every Xbee shield that I've bought has been a nightmare to program basic AT commands because apparently I've bought crappy ones or I've just had bad luck. Even trying the old-- pull out the chip off the Arduino to program the Xbee has not worked on the things I've bought.

What I am asking -- for the love of God-- is assistance in buying what I need to get this going... assume I have nothing.
It's not a hard project... I know!!!

Thank you.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: bluetooth, motors and pot...

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Your first problem is that two bluetooth modules can't talk to each other. They are both clients. They can only talk to a central device, like a computer or phone.
If you don't like XBee, then you can try WiFi. Set one arduino up as an access point, and the other can connect to it. Use an ATWINC1500 with an arduino, or use an ESP8266 as your processor/wifi
Then, set up one arduino as a server and the other as a client. There are plenty of examples in the WiFi101 and ESP8266 libraries

hbojorquez

Post by hbojorquez »

I already went through setting up a master and slave through AT commands and found the Xbee units unreliable.
That's how I ended up here looking for newer bluetooth units and assistance on how to set them up

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Yeah, bluetooth is out. Have a look at WiFi. The libraries make it dead simple.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”