I need help which arduino to choose for smart home project

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mou313

I need help which arduino to choose for smart home project

Post by mou313 »

1- I want to controll my room from my cellphone, I don't have enough information but i'm sure that I need an arduino with wirless that can be also connected to a relay board.

2- another question is: when I see all relay boards, its maximum current 10A. well, that's good for lights, but what about a relay that works for a window Air condtioner wich requires a 45A/240V switch.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: I need help which arduino to choose for smart home proje

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you want to control from a cell phone, then you probably want either Bluetooth or WiFi capability. Our Feather line of Arduino compatible microcontroller boards includes several models with built-in WiFi or Bluetooth capability.
https://www.adafruit.com/category/835

We do not have anything capable of switching 240v/45A. For that, you should check with one of the larger electronics suppliers such as Mouser. Or an industrial supplier such as Grainger.

kcl1s

Re: I need help which arduino to choose for smart home proje

Post by kcl1s »

2- another question is: when I see all relay boards, its maximum current 10A. well, that's good for lights, but what about a relay that works for a window Air condtioner wich requires a 45A/240V switch.
That is one large window AC! I only have a 30 amp breaker on my central AC system.

That said you are now out of the realm of relays and into the realm of magnetic contactors with a very significant jump in price.
Here is an example of one online http://www.americanhvacparts.com/p-1100 ... -tons.aspx

Most contactors I have used have a 24 coil on the input side so you can not control it directly from an Arduino. In addition to a 2 pole contactor (assuming single phase) and enclosure you would still need a relay as well a 24 volt power supply to control the contactor coil circuit from the Arduino. By building code and for safety this work would need to be done by a certified electrician.

Keith

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”