Raspberry PI didnt boot to GUI. Now it does, but wont go pas

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tychoaussie

Raspberry PI didnt boot to GUI. Now it does, but wont go pas

Post by tychoaussie »

Intensely frustrating, but the Raspberry PI model B+ with Adafruit supplied 8GB SD card with Stretch Lite wouldn't boot to GUI. It went straight to terminal, which was proper behavior for Raspberry Lite. I need a GUI for my existing software.

I tried to turn on the GUI by using the command 'sudo raspi-config', but an unspecified 'error' came up, including the suggestion to install lightdm, which I did.

Now it boots to the GUI login screen, but user name pi and password raspberry appear to be accepted, as the screen goes black for a few seconds, but it won't go anywhere except back to its login screen. I can't seem to reverse the process.

I need a small computer with GUI so that I can install my digitizer software for my seismic station. I can't seem to get there.

Where do I go for assistance?
Last edited by tychoaussie on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tychoaussie

Re: Raspberry PI didnt boot to GUI. Now it does, but wont go

Post by tychoaussie »

Okay, <Alt>-F1 got me back to a command prompt.
I guess I missed something in the installation. I tried this next:

sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends xserver.otg
sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends xinit
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends raspberrypi-ui-mods

A reboot takes me to the same raspberrypi login screen, but logging in takes me nowhere.

Still stuck in the molasses swamp...
I guess I will reformat my SD card, go get NOOBS and try from the beginning.

tychoaussie

Re: Raspberry PI didnt boot to GUI. Now it does, but wont go

Post by tychoaussie »

ok, lesson learned...GO get NOOBS and grab the desktop install. I needed a minimalist version, but with a GUI. Thought I could do it with Stretch Lite, and then add the GUI after the fact. Since I don't have the linux chops to pull it off, I'm stepping into the full version for now, then will try to get RS232 going, OpenVPN client, and my seismic software. The desktop copied to the FLASh with no dramas, and it appears to be installing onto the pi.

[edit] The new distro did the job, and the system is happily running. I've gotten my ftp client software working, the RS232 (a Prolific chipset USB) appears to communicate. I've still got the seismic software to get running, but that's not because of any issues with the PI. The PI is looking fine! [/edit]

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”