problem with UNO drivers

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jreich

problem with UNO drivers

Post by jreich »

Followed several of the guides but cannot my new UNO board to install. Windows 7 OS.
Dowloaded drivers from http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
tried 0022 and 1.0

When I plug in my board I get solid green and solid orange light. Auto hardware update fails after about 2 - 3 minutes.

I go to device manager and under Other Devices I find ATmega16u2 DFU
Right click-->Update Driver Software
navigate to the unzipped folder (previously copied to my desktop)
tried it with and without include subfolders. I am careful to only navigate to root folder
C:\Users\john\Desktop\arduino-0022\drivers
and not go to
C:\Users\john\Desktop\arduino-0022\drivers\FTDI USB Drivers

and when I hit Next I get message
Windows was unable to install your ATmega16u2 DFU
Windows could not find driver software for your device

Feel like I'm doing everything right? Any help would be so appreciated. Was hoping to start playing around today.

Bad board perhaps? I saw some posts that indicate the orange light should blink but mine is solid.

john
Attachments
problems.jpg
problems.jpg (116.14 KiB) Viewed 6356 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: problem with UNO drivers

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I go to device manager and under Other Devices I find ATmega16u2 DFU
Interesting. When I plug one in to a Windows 7 machine (64 bit) it shows up as "Unknown Device".

It looks like you are selecting the correct path. Does the file "Arduino UNO REV3.inf" exist in the "Drivers" folder?

jreich

Post by jreich »

Yes. The file is indeed there. I probably spent 2-3 hours trying to get this going yesterday. 2 different machines. One windows 7 on Vista - same thing both times. Now I've run out computers.

john

adafruit_support_bill

Did you get this UNO from Adafruit? I'm not sure why yours shows up in Device Manager differently than what I have here. Perhaps the 16U2 is not programmed properly? This procedure shows an 8U2, but the new 16U2 firmware is available now as well.

jreich

Post by jreich »

Yes - this was purchased from adafruit via the Starter Kit. I don't really know anything about the firmware??
Do you think the fact that when I plug the board in the green and orange light are both solid is indicative of anything? One of the guides said the orange light should blink.

I'm really at wits end here. Any use in calling for a new board? Perhaps defective?

John

adafruit_support_bill

Do you think the fact that when I plug the board in the green and orange light are both solid is indicative of anything? One of the guides said the orange light should blink.
The bootloader should give you three quick blinks when you power it up. Ones I have used also had the "blink" sample program loaded by default. It sounds like neither processor (328 or 16U2) was programmed. Contact [email protected] about a replacement and include a link to this thread.

baldengineer

Post by baldengineer »

It seems like the primary function of 0023 was to provide support Uno V3. Have you tried the drivers provided with 0023 (or 1.0)?

CKCK

Post by CKCK »

I'm having the same problem. Try to install the driver. Browse my computer. "Windows was unable to install you ATmega16u2....

Help!

adafruit_support_bill

It sounds like Windows is recognizing the 16U2. Does the on-board LED flash a few times after pressing the reset button?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”