Arduino not recognized, light blinking, though
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduino not recognized, light blinking, though

by magician13134 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:30 pm

I just got the Arduino starter pack, and everything looks great, no missing components or anything, I started lesson 0, but when I plugged it in (USB powered), the green light came on, the orange one blinked, and that was it... no friendly Windows message about new hardware. I tried a reset, I tried external power, I manually searched for hardware, then I contacted Limor, she said to check the Arduino forums, so I did, but no answers... Has anyone else had this trouble? I have a USBtinyISP, should I try to plug that in and see if it recognizes that? Thanks.
magician13134

by adafruit on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:09 pm

can you upload a sketch to it?
does it appear in the device manager?
try
another USB port
another computer

adafruit

by magician13134 on Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:15 am

No
No

Same thing
Same thing...

Except when I plugged it into my Vista laptop, the TX/RX LEDs flashed once before doing what I described before...

The ONLY thing I can see that might cause an issue is two pins on the SMD chip are soldered together slightly...

I'll try slicing that with an exacto knife, and let you know how that goes...

Daaaaang, it's just too tiny, I really don't think I'll be able to just cut it, anyone else have any ideas how to get them unsoldered? (I have a solder sucker, but I'm TERRIBLE with it, I'd probably break it more)
magician13134

by adafruit on Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:48 am

if you're sure its broken, email support (as i suggested) to get a replacement

adafruit

by threebean on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:35 pm

If you don't mind me asking, is this the chip you think has 2 pins soldered together?

When i first got my Arduino it was blinking the L led, and I was a bit worried this was not normal. I got looking at it to see if everything was there and noticed these tiny pins soldered together. I got out a loop and looked at them and sure enough they were together.

Now - i do not mean to spread any dis-information, so correct me if I am wrong, but i think these pins both go to ground so it doesn't matter. I have noticed in other picture on the web, these same pins seem to look about the same. (Check out Arduino Tutorial - lesson 3 on ladyada.net where the L led is highlighted - you can see those same pins look joined)

Here are the shots:

Oh, and i uploaded a new sketch to mine and it was completely fine - must have had the Blink sketch already on it.

Oh, and mine also has "Prototype Limited Edition" printed on it by the Atmel chip. Seems this is just a "misprint" and it is an actual production board.

threebean

by magician13134 on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:30 pm

Yes, those are the two. Luckily, I haven't made it to the post office yet. I wasn't able to upload a sketch, though. I'll try doing that on my laptop right now, though. Thanks for the information!

Hmmm, I'm getting the same thing...
"Problem uploading to board"

I installed the VCP, but when I plug in the Arduino, I get no notification from Windows... no beep or popup, so I haven't been able to install the drivers... any ideas how to do that?
magician13134

by threebean on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:28 am

Can you see it at all if you go to -> Control Panel > System > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager (a button)?

I am the last person to tell anyone windows help. :lol:

But in my haste when I plugged in my arduino - i closed the new hardware window, and that is how i located it and then you can do drivers from there - if i remember right.
threebean

by magician13134 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:31 pm

No, it didn't appear there. I think I may have finally gotten it working, though. I did a system restore to a couple weeks ago, tried a new USB cable, and started over, it it looks like it may be working.

Sorry for wasting all your time. It's solved, but thanks everyone for all the help!
magician13134

by magician13134 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:48 pm

Yay! I just assembled my Proto board and finished lessons 1 - 4! For those you you who don't have this, it's definitely worth it! I can't wait to see some more lessons, great work with what you've already done though, very helpful! (I must say, I'm glad I've had a couple years' experience in Java and C++, that helps immensely in the programming aspect!)
magician13134

by adafruit on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:33 pm

well lesson 5 is up
you should try it as its in 'beta testing'

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.