Prototype board
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Prototype board

by big93 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:42 pm

HI!!

i was looking around and noticed that the arduino starter pack ( which looks awsome ) requires you to build the prototype board, and i was wondering if somebody could tell me how hard it is too do. Like discouraged, i am using a radio shack cheap-o-matic soldering iron and using rosin core light duty solder... first i want to know if this will do, or can this build the prototype board? second i want to if other people built it, and if so how was it, easy, hard?

i'd call my soldering skills mediocre at best, i just figured out from the make vids that melting solder on the iron is not good, and i'm afraid to kill the resister, or whatever part i'm using when i'm heating them up to lay the solder on them ( correctly... ) i also know that i can order the board pre made, but with shipping, and pre made prototype board, its gonna be almost 100 bucks, which is not available to me... ( sadly )

but i'd like to say great job on the tutorials, by far the best tutorial's iv'e seen, you could not put it any more simply, and you dont only say "do this with this, and do that with that!" you also offer the correct pieces in a starter pack so people dont go on a goose chase looking for exact resisters and so ( i tried a project and its messed up cuz i got the wrong ressister ) that helps alot, so good job! and i already read all the tutroials ( even though i dont own the starter pack yet ) but i can still learn untill my starter pack arrives... and i cant wait for the rest of the tut's!
big93

by adafruit on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:31 am

the protoshield instructions are at
www.ladyada.net/make/pshield
its pretty easy but of course if you have bad tools it will be very hard :(

adafruit

by big93 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:28 am

thank you, i'm probably going to buy the least expensive soldering iron on your recomendations page, how do i use it tho?, what tempurture is perfect for soldering?
big93

by tomp on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:45 pm

big93 wrote:what tempurture is perfect for soldering?

600-700F, according to the excellent guide at http://www.curiousinventor.com/how_to_solder

tomp

by big93 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:11 am

thanks tom!

seems i got the perfect temp on my soldering iron, but its with the little turny knob, its not analog or digital, but i got it right on the good spot!
big93

by magician13134 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:27 pm

I used the cheapo soldering iron from Radio Shack for that project. It worked fine. In my opinion, that's one of the easiest soldering projects here, since it's not as small as some of the others, like the MiniPOV.
magician13134

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.