soldering iron recommendations
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

soldering iron recommendations

by tomp on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:48 pm

Lady Ada,

Disclaimer: I'm a complete electronics newbie.

I recently purchased the Arduino Starter Pack (from you) and a number of the tools that you recommended on your site (from Electronix Express), including the WLC100 Weller soldering station. Tonight, when I went to start assembling the protoshield, I found that the tip that comes with the WLC100 station seems to be much bigger than the pads on the Arduino protoshield board. (It's the ST3 .12" tip.) It seemed to work acceptably enough for soldering in the two buttons, but when I soldered in the LEDs, I leaked solder over to an adjacent hole. So, I think that tip is just too big for this project.

I'll go ahead and order another tip or two, but what do you receommend? The three available tips for this iron (according to the elexp.com site) are

.03" conical
.06" screwdriver
.09" screwdriver

Is it worth getting them all? What is the conical tip good for?

Also, I picked up the third-hand tool, because it sounded useful, but the Arduino protoshield board seems to be pretty well-packed with connections - there are very few open spots big enough to accept a third-hand alligator clip without clipping a connection. Is that something I should worry about? Or, are the connections on that board strong and/or deep enough to survive being scraped by an alligator clip? I suspect that the third-hand tool is really inappropriate for this project and that the Panavise Jr. is actually required. Please advise.

Tom Pollard
South Orange, NJ

tomp

Re: soldering iron recommendations

by adafruit on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:36 am

TomP wrote:Lady Ada,
I'll go ahead and order another tip or two, but what do you receommend? The three available tips for this iron (according to the elexp.com site) are

.03" conical
.06" screwdriver
.09" screwdriver

id go with the 0.06" screwdriver

What is the conical tip good for?

SMT parts

there are very few open spots big enough to accept a third-hand alligator clip without clipping a connection. Is that something I should worry about? Or, are the connections on that board strong and/or deep enough to survive being scraped by an alligator clip? I suspect that the third-hand tool is really inappropriate for this project and that the Panavise Jr. is actually required. Please advise.

yeah its not easy but try not to squish the parts. i dont actually use one of those tools anymore.... they're as you've noticed, a really pita :(

adafruit

by tomp on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:21 am

Thanks, I've ordered the .06" tip and some solder wick to try to clean out that hole I accidentally filled. :-(

tomp

Re: soldering iron recommendations

by tomp on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:16 am

ladyada wrote:id go with the 0.06" screwdriver

It came yesterday and was indeed perfect. Finished the protoshield and worked through tutorials 3 and 4. Tomorrow - bike lights!

Regarding the third hand tool...
ladyada wrote:yeah its not easy but try not to squish the parts. i dont actually use one of those tools anymore.... they're as you've noticed, a really pita :(

Still, it does look kinda cool. Hopefully I'm done soldering for a little while now, in any case.

tomp

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.