some extra juice! (yum...)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

some extra juice! (yum...)

by big93 on Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:22 pm

hey guys, lets see, i got a little rocket fuse, and when i took apart its original launcher, i saw that it uses exactly 6 volts to make it firey red, and hot enough to light the rocket, now i thought the arduino would be enough to power it ( 5v, 6v whats the diffrence?) but unfortunitly its not! so is there a way to kick it up another volt, without blowing out the arduino, cuz i know output = 5v, and if i input more then 5v, then it gets bad. so can i like add a battery to the positive side of the outputed pin, and then put a resister on the ground side, or will that make the circuit less volts from the begining?

thanks!!
-big93
big93

by adafruit on Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:40 pm

the arduino pins cannot supply enough current, you'll need to use a transistor. you should post to the arduino forum, since this question isn't really related to the starter pack.

adafruit

by big93 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:45 am

ok, thanks ladyada!, btw just for refrence, a transister, makes voltages higher, with a little 3 pin half circle thing, right? and also is there one that only increases what you want by 1 volt, because i think anything above 6 volts could be dangourus...

also, is a transister safe to use, with the arduino, and the proto sheild ( in the tiny breadbord... )?
big93

by adafruit on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:23 am

again, you should really take your questions to the arduino.cc forums (http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl), as they are there to help beginners like you with questions.
this forums is really only intended to help people with the tutorials on ladyada.net
christmas time means im extraordinarily busy and cant spend an hour a day handholding you through learning electronics.

adafruit

by big93 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:14 am

sorry...
big93

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.