Simple protoshield question
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Simple protoshield question

by bkolin on Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:45 pm

Should either of the two leds (red or green) be blinking when the built in (pin 13) led is blinking down below on the main Arduino board? According to the traces and a little poking with my meter, I think I see the leds on the shield just end in holes to be used in the future, just looking for confirmation. Also, since I am posting I'll tack on a second question - what makes the caps on the shield optional (to be left off if using a medium size breadboard)? This is what scares me about the digital electronics world, if they are optional but good, how would one have known to design them in there in the first place? Many thanks.
bkolin

by pagreenough on Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:22 pm

No, the leds should not be blinking. As you noted, neither is yet connected to a source of power. They both have dropping resistors built in, so you can use them directly. I use them as indicator lights in my circuits.

As for the optional headers, it depends on the size of the breadboard that you're using. The halfsize one doesn't fit well if you've soldered the headers in place, but the little mini board fits just fine. The primary purpose of the optional headers seems to be to provide lots of places to use as sources of 5 volts, and as grounds. Not necessary, but nice.
pagreenough

Re: Simple protoshield question

by adafruit on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:18 pm

bkolin wrote:Should either of the two leds (red or green) be blinking when the built in (pin 13) led is blinking down below on the main Arduino board? According to the traces and a little poking with my meter, I think I see the leds on the shield just end in holes to be used in the future, just looking for confirmation. Also, since I am posting I'll tack on a second question - what makes the caps on the shield optional (to be left off if using a medium size breadboard)? This is what scares me about the digital electronics world, if they are optional but good, how would one have known to design them in there in the first place? Many thanks.

the mini caps provide a little bit more power supply stability. always a nice thing to have but not essential (as there are some on the arduino itself)

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.