file does not have a program associated with it

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Godbero

file does not have a program associated with it

Post by Godbero »

First, Lady Ada, love your work, site, bio, etc. Thanks for what you do.

Now, please help someone.

Just started using my Starter Kit. I didn't get very far. After I downloaded the Arduino software for Windows and clicked on the program icon I got an error. The following line is in the header of the error pop-up. This happens when I click arduino.exe

Header:
C:\Documents and Settings\etc\desktop\arduino-0012-win\arduino-0012\java\bin\javaw.exe

Body:
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

I tried a few things to no avail. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am running XP.

-->Rob
Attachments
error.JPG
error.JPG (20.81 KiB) Viewed 3001 times

Godbero

Re: file does not have a program associated with it

Post by Godbero »

I found if I run the MS-DOS batch file that is in the Arduino software folder I get a DOS window and then the Arduino IE comes up. I was able to finish Lesson 2 (blink) this way.

Anyone have any idea why I can't run the Windows version of the IE? I seem to have all the Java stuff installed.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

they're the same thing, so no big deal

jskora

Post by jskora »

I ran into the same problem, it appears to be caused by not have a valid setting for JAVA_HOME in the environment. Once I set that, this problem went away.

(I don't normally keep a JAVA_HOME in the environment because I am often switching between different JDKs, this might be one reason to use the run.bat file.)

Enjoy!

Joe

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”