Which starter kit and why

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
airscapes

Which starter kit and why

Post by airscapes »

I am just starting to export the Arduino and wondering which starter kit to buy.. I see several on Amazon including the "Offical" start pack. I assume yours contains the things you feel are most needed to get started? My first use will be an automated cat feeder which will require logic in the motor control.
I am already familiar with electronic (analog) and programming (Unix Admin) so figured this would be the way to go to add logic to this projects and future endeavors.
I also stumbled on the ruggeduino which was BANNED to find out the original does not contain simple protection circuity. Will/has any of that protection circuitry been added to the standard Arduino?
Thanks in advance!
Doug

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Which starter kit and why

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Adafruit Arduino Starter Pack contains all the power supplies & cables you need - as well as a breadboard and an assortment of simple sensors and basic components to get you going.

The Official Arduino starter kit contains a few fun projects that makes use of some of the basic capabilities of the Arduino.

The ARDX Experimentors pack is a little more structured. It includes a series of lessons covering some basic electronics and programming. The kit includes all the parts needed to complete those lessons.

The standard Arduino (and 99% of the compatibles) do not have any Ruggeduino-style protection circuitry aside from the polyfuse and reverse voltage protection on the input. The Ruggeduino is a nice product. But overkill for the vast majority of applications.

airscapes

Post by airscapes »

Thanks!
If I get the kit from you, do you sell all the sensors and additional components, I have not fully explored you site .. kind of info overload atm.. can't even concentrate on my day job.. ;-)

adafruit_support_bill

Yes, we have lots of sensors and shields, complete with tutorials and libraries for the Arduino.

airscapes

Post by airscapes »

Probably not the proper place to ask this but ..
Is a regulator like this safe to use to power something like a trinket and servor using a 12v battery? I have a timer kit that requires 12v and want to run everything from the same power source
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2596S-ADJ-DC- ... xydUJTMqQv

adafruit_support_bill

From the specs, it looks like it could work. The output appears to be adjustable, so be sure to set the output voltage before connecting any circuitry to it.

airscapes

Post by airscapes »

Oh yes, Just did not feel like making one with a 5v regulator which cost more than this complete module at the local Radio shack..

Virtualjsk

Post by Virtualjsk »

Hi - I am headed for vacation in a week, and would like to buy a kit to experiment with. Unfortunately, you are out of the ARDX Experimentor's pack. Is there another kit you can recommend? I am especially interested in anything that will teach me how to control movement based on feedback from sensors.

adafruit_support_bill

If you are interested controlling movement, you might want to look into one of the robot chassis kits. The BOEBot, Zumo and Sparki are all great platforms for sensor experimentation.

Virtualjsk

Post by Virtualjsk »

Awesome. Ordered Sparki.

Mangerman

Post by Mangerman »

Hi

You have several "flavors" of starter kit. The overall descriptions are very similar, making a decision difficult. the prices are similar. Which part number would be the most complete for a beginner who knows just enough to be dangerous? I have done similar projects a few decades ago, but the specifics of Arduino are new and exciting to me. I have a general technical background, in that my father was an aircraft engineer, and I am a biotech analytical research chemist for my "day job." I was able to program in Delphi and C, but it's been a long time. I think that the driver for the decision would be the kit that has the best pedagogical instruction/project book.

I am also very much interested in the neopixel strips. Is there anything other than a roll of LEDs and the starter kit that I would need to get started? my mid-term goal is to make a panel that will change colors slowly, right at the edge of the ability to notice that a change is going on. Also, a smooth gradient from one side to another. Kind of a James Turrell type of an effect.

Thank you,
Martin

adafruit_support_bill

I think that the driver for the decision would be the kit that has the best pedagogical instruction/project book.
I think that the ARDX Experimentation Kit best fits that description.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/170
Is there anything other than a roll of LEDs and the starter kit that I would need to get started?
You will need a a power supply with enough capacity to drive them. 60mA per pixel is a conservative 'worst-case' estimate that allows you to drive the entire strip at 100% full intensity. Most computer USB ports can deliver up to about 500mA. That is usually enough to handle 20 pixels or so if you are not pushing them too hard.

You will also probably need some soldering supplies to make connections to the strip.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... ring/tools

Mangerman

Post by Mangerman »

Can you suggest to size a stand-alone power supply? I figure that I can start with 25 LEDs, or so. Then eventually scale up from there.

adafruit_support_bill

A 5v/2A supply will comfortably drive a 30 pixel strip to the max. https://www.adafruit.com/products/1994
The 5v/4A supply gives you plenty of headroom for expansion: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1466

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”