Pin #2 on Trinket Pro 5V with VS1053
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pin #2 on Trinket Pro 5V with VS1053

by knoxvilles_Joker on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:18 pm

I am trying to work through some control issues getting the vs1053 board to get past "VS1053 MIDI test"

Here is the information on your site I have referenced:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-vs1 ... o?view=all
on the trinket pro 5v
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide
excerpt from above:
The only changes you may have to consider when adapting Arduino sketches are:
Pins #2 and #7 are not available
That means you do not get access to interrupt #0. Use interrupt #1 on pin #3 instead with attachInterrupt (1, functionname, condition);

And from the vs1053 player midi test:
// define the pins used
#define VS1053_RX 3 // This is the pin that connects to the RX pin on VS1053

I set pin three as that is apparently a misc interrupt available to emulate the function of pin 2.

I am thinking that I have to invoke attach interrupt to fix the communications issue. What I am not finding is the function I should call and the condition to use to allow for proper communications.

The way the wiring looks with the midi function there is no call to the scared player at all and it merely relies on transmissions from the trinket pro/uno.

The only other thought is that I would have to load the midi files on the scared but I don't recall seeing that piece.

I remember in the 80s where my friends dad had a huge midi player and this can fit inside the palm of your hand with almost the same functionality. Again thanks for the great products and support.

knoxvilles_Joker

Re: Pin #2 on Trinket Pro 5V with VS1053

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:55 am

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

adafruit_support_mike

by knoxvilles_Joker on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:36 am

IMG_1661.jpg
Other side of board
IMG_1661.jpg (209.74 KiB) Viewed 121 times
IMG_1662.jpg
main board with other pieces removed
IMG_1662.jpg (267.7 KiB) Viewed 121 times
IMG_1660.jpg
side of audio board
IMG_1660.jpg (224.4 KiB) Viewed 121 times

knoxvilles_Joker

by knoxvilles_Joker on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:00 am

reset on trinket is wired to push button switch that runs to ground.
Pin 3 runs from RX on board > this is where I wonder if the interrupt needs to be invoked and if so how
pin 9 runs from rst on board

on trinket pro 5V
battery runs to mom power switch out
ground runs to common ground
5v 150mA runs to audio board
rst runs to switch that runs to common ground

on audio board
gpio 0 goes to ground
gpio 1 goes to 3v3
gnu goes to ground
vcc goes to mom power switch out output

On MOM power switch
in comes from positive lead on battery backpack (4 x AA batteries)
gnu comes from negative lead on battery backpack
out goes to +5V bus and to the trinket, audio board, led backpack(disconnected), and amplifier.

on the speakers, those work fine and it outputs to a class d amplifier board manufactured by your group, great part by the way.
vdd goes to 5v output
gnu goes to ground
these are run through the breadboard due to lack of female to female cables:
agnd to l-
agnd to r-
lout to l+
rout to r+
The speakers have played sound when the unit was set as a media player. and your speakers were awesome quality wise for the price I paid.

I do apologize for the spaghetti and this will get cleaned up once I get things working fully.

knoxvilles_Joker

by knoxvilles_Joker on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:15 am

Just to be specific on this, this is related to my other posts and my research indicates I need to place the card into UART mode and then use serial triggering to play sounds.

Before I get to that part I need to make sure I can make the Midi part work. Once that is done then I can get work on serial triggering if possible with this combination of hardware. Baby steps, baby steps.

knoxvilles_Joker

by knoxvilles_Joker on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:05 pm

OK I think part of my problem will be that I don't have a clear delineation on whether or not this product is compatible with some of the functionality of your other devices and libraries unofficially or in an undocumented manner.

The player test definitely worked on this device I am working with right now.

This product:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... d/overview
and this device is supported by soundboard.h and softwareserial.h officially
supports UART and Serial triggering. Both of which are required for my project.

The question to ask is will this current board support serial triggering and a UART mode. As far as I could figure the MIDI mode is as close as I can come to UART functionality.

Learning is so much fun. Regardless these parts can be used for other projects. I will order a set of the above products and see where that can take me in addition to findings on this one.

I am hopeful that with some rewiring and reprogramming the board I am using now is capable of such functionality. I just need to find out if that is worth my time or not.

knoxvilles_Joker

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:48 am

The VS1053 Music Maker does not have a Serial control interface.

The Serial interface you linked above is for the FX Board, which uses a different audio chip with different firmware. No information about the FX Board has any meaning when applied to the Music Maker.

The VS1053 does have a pair of pins that can do Serial communication, but the firmware on the Music Maker doesn't use those pins that way. The VS1053 pin that handles the RX signal for a Serial connection has an alternate function as an input for MIDI data. The Music Maker's firmware does use that alternate function.

adafruit_support_mike

by knoxvilles_Joker on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:15 am

Well alrighty then. That really clears things up. I have ordered the correct parts. I will use this setup to make a music player to accent my wife's harley costume to play harley's theme with a modded signature mallet.

knoxvilles_Joker

by knoxvilles_Joker on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:08 pm

I would question if you have any plans to discontinue the fx board, if so please let us know so that we can update things. With the upcoming predator film in 2018 this parts build out will become extremely popular especially in light of covenant coming out this year as well.

knoxvilles_Joker

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:48 am

knoxvilles_Joker wrote:I would question if you have any plans to discontinue the fx board

Oh heck no.. we sell them by the hundredweight. I don't see that one going away any time in the foreseeable future.

adafruit_support_mike

by knoxvilles_Joker on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:33 am

Awesome! Thanks for the world class support!

knoxvilles_Joker

by jim_lee on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:37 am

On that same note. I hope you continue with the music maker board. (His original board) I think those are really slick!

-jim lee

jim_lee

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:48 am

That's another popular one. I can't see that going away unless we have something at least as good to take its place.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.