Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Bending Limitations of Flexible 2.13" Monochrome ePaper Disp
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bending Limitations of Flexible 2.13" Monochrome ePaper Disp

by jhaupt on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:09 pm

So far I've killed four (4), yes 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 of the above eInk displays trying to do what I want to do in terms of mounting geometry. At this point I have enough experience to provide an anecdotal report on the limitations of its flexibiligy. The Adafruit product description is vague and there's no information at all in the manufacturer's datasheet (GooDisplay GDEW0213I5F); not even a minimum bend radius.

Basically:

The portion which is purely flex cable is extremely resilient. It can be more-or-less folded on itself (though not repeatedly) and be fine.

The active area of the display is reasonably resilient to bending. The one pictured below is bonded to a 10mm radius surface and I think this is okay, but I don't think I'd try to go any sharper than that.

The really sensitive part is the bit between the flex cable and the active display area, which I'm thinking should probably have a stiffener attached for protection. If this part bends at all the display is likely to develop artifacts, and if it bends much more than that it will kill the display entirely.

Some photos of how I'm using it:

The idea is that the screen is viewable from both the top (pager-style) and from the back, to display different kinds of stuff.

I'll have a description of this project here with all the design files: http://justine-haupt.com/rotarycellphone/

jhaupt

Re: Bending Limitations of Flexible 2.13" Monochrome ePaper

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 pm

That's an awesome looking project!
And thanks for sharing your experience with these displays. :)

adafruit_support_bill

by jhaupt on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Thanks Bill, and no problem.

jhaupt

by jhaupt on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:42 am

Geez, thanks to whoever saw this (probably on this post) and made it go viral. Wowser.

jhaupt

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.