RA8875 Not Asserting DISP Signal for 7" TFT

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
clroche1

RA8875 Not Asserting DISP Signal for 7" TFT

Post by clroche1 »

Hi all:
I've been trying to use the Adafruit RA8875 controller with the Adafruit 7" TFT display. I'm using a PIC24 to drive the controller so I meticulously converted the INIT code in the .cpp Library to PIC assy but could not get the display to turn on. After hours of troubleshooting, I resorted to probing the signals on the 40 pin FFC connector and discovered that the DISP signal on pin 31 (DISPLAY ON/OFF) is not tied to VCC (or being driven to VCC). When I manually drive pin 31 HIGH (100 Ohm resistor to 3.3V) it magically works (FYI, I issue the command for REG x01 to turn it ON but it has no effect on the DISP signal). I can't find any signal out of the RA8875 IC itself for this function and I found a document that indicates this must be 'tied' HIGH. So the question is...Is the RA8875 board supposed to tie this signal to 3.3V or control it? . Thanks in advance.

clroche1

Re: RA8875 Not Asserting DISP Signal for 7" TFT

Post by clroche1 »

Replying to self in order to update the post:
The RA8875 data sheet generally ignores the DISP signal except in one place: Page 78/178 shows a schematic that connects GPIO0 to a TFT signal labelled DISP_OFF. Of course there are no signals named GPIO0 or DISP_OFF but presumably they mean GPO0 and DISP. In any case I probed the Adafruit circuit board and there is no connection from the GPO0 pin (pin 32 on the IC) to pin 31 on the 40 pin FFC. The GPI/GPO pins are associated with the key scanning feature in the data sheet, so if applicable, the GPO0 pin would need to be set in the key scan register group.

Also, I mentioned that turning the display ON/OFF via register 01 had no effect. Actually that's not true. Since I got it working with my jumper, turning it OFF apparently kills the TFT timing signals because it definitely goes dark. It's just not being done via the DISP signal.

Bottom line is this seems to be an omission on the Adafruit circuit board (Hold DISP HIGH). But how could this be the case though as other users would have encountered this same problem?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”