Need help getting the Arduino setup for the Adafruit ESP32 F

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sealyon

Need help getting the Arduino setup for the Adafruit ESP32 F

Post by sealyon »

Trying to follow the learn guide setup instructions for the Arduino IDE setup for the ESP32 V2. Having trouble installing the ESP32 Board Support Package from GitHub. Following the instructions given in the link under 'Install ESP32 Board Support Package from GitHub'. I've installed git and am trying to run GitGui with the provided information filled in. However, it keeps stopping the clone with an error saying that named target directory already exists. I'm providing exactly what it says in the link: for me -- C:/Users/clyon/Documents/Arduino/hardware/espressif/esp32. Yes, that folder exists but it seems like it will exist for everyone. Am I supposed to remove the folder before running this? Appreciate any help.

Another related question. Can I program this using PlatformIO instead of the vanilla Arduino IDE? If so, what needs to be done to allow that?

dastels

Re: Need help getting the Arduino setup for the Adafruit ESP

Post by dastels »

Have you looked into updating that board support package? If the directory is there than it's been previously installed, either as part of Arduino or manually.

Platformio can be used if the required board and platform support is available. There is copious documentation available at https://platformio.org/.

If you are using a Feather ESP32V2, for example, support is there (has to be installed).

Dave

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

Ok. Not sure how that got there. But it doesn't contain all the files listed in the link. Is there a way to just uninstall what's there and reinstall the current Board Support package? Can I just delete the files & folders?

dastels

Post by dastels »

Hmm... I don't see a way to uninstall a board support package in pre-2.0 Arduino. I don't know if removing the directory would cleanly remove the package. Have you tried to update it?

Dave

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

Well, I'm using Arduino 2.0. I have not tried to update it.

dastels

Post by dastels »

In 2.0 you can uninstall from the board manager. I'd try that and then reinstall it.

Dave

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Feather V2 is now in the 2.0.3 ESP32 board support package you can just insall it from the bsp manager :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”