Liquid Crystal Light Valve

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
project_science

Liquid Crystal Light Valve

Post by project_science »

Hi,

I'm interested in this product: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3330

A few questions:

1. I see that it says that it will block 95% of light when opaque, but what % of light does it allow in when no voltage is applied?

2. Do you sell any larger panels than this? If not, how "seamless" can I connect them on the edges, e.g. making a 3x3 display?

3. Will I be able to maximally apply voltage to it using a feather board? I see that it has a max of 5V. Does that mean that 3.3V from a feather board won't make it as opaque as 5V from an UNO?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Liquid Crystal Light Valve

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

1) I don't have that information. I'll see if I can find a datasheet.
2) That's the only size we have. They won't butt together seamlessly
3) it won't get as dark at 3.3V as it will at 4 or 5V

HKF

Post by HKF »

Hello,

I have used the light valve and a photoresistor to build a simple optoelectronic self-regulatory circuit ( http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Per ... ry-Optoel/ ). I would like to add a fritzing drawing to the instructable, but so far I was not able to identify the official symbol for a light valve. Could you help?

Kind regards

H

adafruit_support_rick

No idea. Sorry.

OYPDLC

Post by OYPDLC »

project_science wrote:Hi,

I'm interested in this product: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3330

A few questions:

1. I see that it says that it will block 95% of light when opaque, but what % of light does it allow in when no voltage is applied?

2. Do you sell any larger panels than this? If not, how "seamless" can I connect them on the edges, e.g. making a 3x3 display?

3. Will I be able to maximally apply voltage to it using a feather board? I see that it has a max of 5V. Does that mean that 3.3V from a feather board won't make it as opaque as 5V from an UNO?
Hi We have a larger similar film or glass, size maximum width could be 59inches, but with AC driving up, would you consider it?

adafruit_support_rick

OYPDLC wrote:Hi We have a larger similar film or glass, size maximum width could be 59inches, but with AC driving up, would you consider it?
Hi. These forums are for support of Adafruit customers. We ask that you not promote your own products on them.

OYPDLC

Post by OYPDLC »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:
OYPDLC wrote:Hi We have a larger similar film or glass, size maximum width could be 59inches, but with AC driving up, would you consider it?
Hi. These forums are for support of Adafruit customers. We ask that you not promote your own products on them.
Noted with thanks

volthauslab

Post by volthauslab »

When the first atomic bomb was tested the ultra-short duration of the phenomena meant no conventional mechanical shutter could be used to photograph the event (from 7 miles away!). A magnetic field was created around two polarized lenses that were rotated, permitting light to pass through an optical system. I wonder if the light valve could be used in a prototype camera for really quick exposures ala bullet through apple kind of thing. Anyone pursuing this? I wonder how fast the Adafruit Light Valve can be operated. Also the fact that it is not 100% opaque might be an issue. Just kind of thinking out loud.

MarkFilipkowski

Post by MarkFilipkowski »

I have a related question: what is the switching time for the Liquid Crystal Light Valve? Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”