Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Problem uploading code to Metro
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Problem uploading code to Metro

by jacobydav on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:10 am

I recently received my Metro and I am not able to upload any code to it. I have not soldered headers or anything else, only plugged in the USB cable.
Environment: Windows 10, Arduino IDE 1.6.4 and 1.8 (I tried both)

I followed the instructions to install the Adadruit Windows drivers. Then I added the Adafruit boards to the Arduino IDE. When I plug in the USB cable I see the new port in the Device Manager "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM6)".
In the Arduino IDE I select the Metro board and COM6 for the port. When I try to upload any example, I get the error

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfb

The only LED that ever comes on is the green "ON". There is no other activity.
It is the same behavior as in the post
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=115306&p=576471&hilit=metro#p576471
and I tried all the recommended steps in that post with no luck.

Here is what I have tried:
2 separate computers (both running Windows 10)
Arduino IDE 1.6.4 and 1.8.0
3 different USB cables (which work on other devices)
Plugging/unplugging the Metro, restarting the computer.

Does anyone have some advice for troubleshooting this problem?
Thank you.

jacobydav

Re: Problem uploading code to Metro

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:17 am

It sounds like you've hit all the major points in troubleshooting the problem. There might be a problem with the ATmega328, or the bootloader might be corrupted.

Send a note containing a link to this thread and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will get you a new Metro.

If you have another Arduino (or when you get the new Metro) you can try writing a fresh copy of the bootloader to the ATmega328 using the instructions here:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

adafruit_support_mike

by jacobydav on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks for your reply Mike.
Your advice about the bootloader was good. I burned the bootloader using a UNO and now the Metro is working.

In the process of doing that I realized something. I had previously been using that UNO to program some ATTiny85s. So I think its possible that the first time I tried to upload code to the Metro I forgot to change the Programmer setting from "Arduino as ISP" to "AVRISP MKII".

I don't know if its possible that the bootloader was corrupted by doing that. But I thought it was worth mentioning in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation.
Thanks again.

jacobydav

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:07 am

Glad to hear you got it working.

Having the wrong programmer selected shouldn't hurt the bootloader in any way. The upload will fail of course, but the bootloader itself lives in a block of protected memory. You have to change some fuse settings to write a new one.

I'm still gonna call that a failed bootloader write during production. The fact that you were able to fix it yourself doesn't let us off the hook. Go ahead and contact the folks at support for another Metro.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.