couldn't factory reset

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
danwi

Re: couldn't factory reset

Post by danwi »

ok thank you for your help, and I look forward to hearing from you, and if you need some additional information, just ask me.

danwi

Post by danwi »

Hi, I just want to know if you have more information about the problem, because I still have it.

hathach

Post by hathach »

Hi,

We just push out a new beta firmware 0.8.0 25th Sep. Could you mind upgrading the firmware for bluefruit and try again. You may need to perform a factory reset after that just to make sure we have a clean start. Let's us know if that could fix your issue.

SilverRex

Post by SilverRex »

Hi,

Where can we get that newer version of the FW? I'm experiencing the same issues as well even using the examples such as throughput on my Feather 32u4. I don't see that version in my iOS Bluefruit App.

Thanks!

hathach

Post by hathach »

Ah for iOS device, you need to go to phone's setting --> bluefruit app --> enable "Show beta releases" to upgrade beta firmware.

danwi

Post by danwi »

I tried the new beta firmware 0.8.0 and that didn't solve the problem. So I still have the same issue. Most of my device are working, but sometimes, some stop and I have to make a hardware reset to make it working again.

hathach

Post by hathach »

thanks for your feedback, we will try to work on this more and let you know if there is new beta to test with.

danwi

Post by danwi »

Hi,
Do you have some new information in this issues? I still have the problem.

glydrfreak

Post by glydrfreak »

I'm forwarding my last post from a different forum:
Re: Couldn't factory reset
by glydrfreak on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:49 am

It is the most frustrating thing I've been experiencing with Feather boards. I absolutely love the Feathers, and I too really need to figure out this issue for my ongoing project. I started with a Bluefruit 32u4, and on that board, I was never able to successfully factory reset. I had two SPI peripherals hooked up: MS5611 Barometric Pressure Sensor, and a 0.66" OLED. The chip select pins were 13 and 11, respectively. I have no Idea what led me to do the following, but immediately before factory reset, I inserted:

Code: Select all

pinMode(11, OUTPUT);
pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(11, HIGH);   //TO DISABLE THE OLED
digitalWrite(13, HIGH);   //TO DISABLE THE PRESSURE SENSOR

//THEN FACTORY RESET HERE;

...And I was able to successfully perform the reset.

Fast forward a month or two, I upgraded to a Bluefruit M0, and ran into the same wall again: "Couln't factory reset"...

So I tried the process as mention above, with setting the pinModes for the other peripherals (still the MS5611, and the same OLED), and no luck.

I've tried forcing DFU mode, and I am able to get a successful installation of the firmware update over the BLE Connect app, but after that, things get fuzzy again. I just cannot get a factory reset on my M0, and I'm really really sad, because I was making so much good progress with my project.

One thing I was doing different with my M0, also, long before the failed factory reset attempts, I was adding custom advertising data, service, and a characteristic. I can share more details if anyone desires.

I wonder how many others have this same issue. Again, to highlight previous points in this forum, I have seen possible correlations with other SPI peripherals interfering with the factory reset on the Bluefruit Feathers.

I am desperate for more information here. Thanks!

*UPDATE*
As of today (a day later), I stumbled across the beta firmware as mentioned above. After the beta firmware update, I was at least able to revive the triple pulsing red led indicator for the BLE module. I am about to upload a sketch to it as I post this, but I have no idea what I should diagnose first. Maybe I will try a simple software factory reset...

Result:

AT+FACTORYRESET

<- OK
YAY!

I will provide more updates if any further trouble with the issue. I'm also on the lookout for methods to reproduce the "couldn't factory reset" issue if possible.

CONCLUSION: Beta firmware 0.8.0 worked allowed me to software factory reset after starting up in force DFU mode.

danwi

Post by danwi »

Hi,
Do you have some new information about this problem?

glydrfreak

Post by glydrfreak »

danwi wrote:Hi,
Do you have some new information about this problem?
Ever since I updated to the Beta 0.8.0 BLE firmware, I haven't had any issues.

I also haven't changed any of my custom BLE services or characteristics in my code. Once I got it working, I just left that portion as is, and I haven't touched it since.

I wonder if a potential cause for "couldn't factory reset" could have been due to a fault in my code for a service or characteristic that I was trying to add.

tohan0510

Post by tohan0510 »

Hello,

i have the "couldn't factory reset" problem with the Adafruit Bluefruit LE UART Friend - Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2479).
The wiring is like the description, and the reset with the DFU Button don't work to.
I hope you can help me.

Best wishes
ToHan

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Did you select the correct constructor on your sketch? The UART friend uses either hardware or software serial. The example sketches all default to hardware SPI.

If that's not the problem, post some clear, detailed pictures of your wiring and soldering.

Also, post your sketch, including the bluefruitconfig.h file

tohan0510

Post by tohan0510 »

Hallo,

this is my sketch and the bluefruitconfig.h file,
the switch stand on CMD.

Wiring:
Pin 12 -> Mod
Pin 11 -> CTS
Pin 10 -> TXD
5V -> VIN
Gnd -> GND

// COMMON SETTINGS
// ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// These settings are used in both SW UART, HW UART and SPI mode
// ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#define BUFSIZE                        128   // Size of the read buffer for incoming data
#define VERBOSE_MODE                   true  // If set to 'true' enables debug output

// SOFTWARE UART SETTINGS
// The following macros declare the pins that will be used for 'SW' serial.
// You should use this option if you are connecting the UART Friend to an UNO
#define BLUEFRUIT_SWUART_RXD_PIN       9    // Required for software serial!
#define BLUEFRUIT_SWUART_TXD_PIN       10   // Required for software serial!
#define BLUEFRUIT_UART_CTS_PIN         11   // Required for software serial!
#define BLUEFRUIT_UART_RTS_PIN         -1   // Optional, set to -1 if unused

// HARDWARE UART SETTINGS
// The following macros declare the HW serial port you are using. Uncomment
// this line if you are connecting the BLE to Leonardo/Micro or Flora
#ifdef Serial1    // this makes it not complain on compilation if there's no Serial1
  #define BLUEFRUIT_HWSERIAL_NAME      Serial1
#endif

// SHARED UART SETTINGS
// The following sets the optional Mode pin, its recommended but not required
#define BLUEFRUIT_UART_MODE_PIN        12    // Set to -1 if unused

// SHARED SPI SETTINGS
// The following macros declare the pins to use for HW and SW SPI communication.
// SCK, MISO and MOSI should be connected to the HW SPI pins on the Uno when
// using HW SPI.  This should be used with nRF51822 based Bluefruit LE modules
// that use SPI (Bluefruit LE SPI Friend).
#define BLUEFRUIT_SPI_CS               8
#define BLUEFRUIT_SPI_IRQ              7
#define BLUEFRUIT_SPI_RST              4    // Optional but recommended, set to -1 if unused

// SOFTWARE SPI SETTINGS
// The following macros declare the pins to use for SW SPI communication.
// This should be used with nRF51822 based Bluefruit LE modules that use SPI
// (Bluefruit LE SPI Friend).
#define BLUEFRUIT_SPI_SCK              13
#define BLUEFRUIT_SPI_MISO             12
#define BLUEFRUIT_SPI_MOSI             11

Attachments
IMG_20171119_001425255[1]-min.jpg
IMG_20171119_001425255[1]-min.jpg (838.29 KiB) Viewed 995 times

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

OK, a couple of things. First, you don't appear to have RX connected. That should go to digital 9.

Next, are you sure you've soldered header pins onto the BLE Friend? It looks like you just have it pegged to the breadboard with the jumpers.

Finally, you don't show your sketch. Make sure that you have the software serial instance of the Adafruit_BluefruitLE_UART object uncommented.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”