RGB Shield and 32x16 display

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JS123

RGB Shield and 32x16 display

Post by JS123 »

I have managed to assemble the RGB Matrix Shield
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2601
and the 32x16 display
https://www.adafruit.com/product/420

The display works fine and I can fill the 5x2 character display with data from I2C sensors.

The problem I am having is refreshing the display (every second in my case) causes a slight flicker.

This is the basic code that causes the flicker every second in the loop.

Code: Select all

matrix.fillScreen(0);
matrix.setTextColor(matrix.Color333(brightness,0,0));
matrix.print("0");        
//the above color and print are repeated 10 times
matrix.swapBuffers(false);
Any way to stop flickering? I think it is the fillScreen that blanks the screen, and the time it takes to print the text (and before the swap) causes the apparent flickering.

Also I want to send some data to another Adafruit Mega 328 via software serial. Which poirts are free after attaching the RGB Shield? I cannot seem to find a list of used ports.

Thanks for any ideas and info.

JS123

Re: RGB Shield and 32x16 display

Post by JS123 »

As a "fix" for the flicker, I only update the display when the shown values change. That helps reduce the flicker in my case, but if there was a way to stop flicker totally that would be best. I do want to have a display that can be updated every second. The flicker is also noticable if the display is in your peripheral vision too, so could (will) become annoying over time.

I am using the display for a clock and temp output. If I add a seconds display then it will need to be updated every second so it will give a flicker every second.

Other than the flicker these are really nice displays with very vibrant bright and crisp LEDs.

Franklin97355

Re: RGB Shield and 32x16 display

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you don't blank the screen and only change the portions that need to change you will not notice it as much.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”