Proto shield R3 v6: 10K resistance between RST and GND

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
srklipst

Proto shield R3 v6: 10K resistance between RST and GND

Post by srklipst »

In January, I purchased a Metro 328 and a Proto Shield R3 v6. I didn't install any of the buttons, capacitors or LEDs. I did install the headers. Everything was working fine, until today: now there's for no discernable reason an invisible 10K resistance between pins RST and ground. This causes the Metro 328 to behave as if the RST button is grounded, i.e. closed, and causes the Metro to stop doing everything.

I've only plugged breadboard jumpers into the board, and the board itself into the Metro 328. I've gone over the board to see if there are any solder bridges, and there aren't. I've cleaned the board with alcohol to remove any remaining flux. It still borks the Metro 328 when applied.

I have no idea why this happened today, when everything was working fine before. I poked the board all over and could find no other faults, except there's 10K Ohms resistance between RST and ground, when there shouldn't be any at all and there wasn't before.

I'm absolutely stumped. Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Franklin97355

Re: Proto shield R3 v6: 10K resistance between RST and GND

Post by Franklin97355 »

The only thing I can see on the shield that could be causing that is the reset switch itself.

srklipst

Post by srklipst »

franklin97355 wrote:The only thing I can see on the shield that could be causing that is the reset switch itself.
Yup that would be possible if there was a reset switch. There isn't one. But, there is 10KΩ between the switch terminals on the PCB.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Can you post a picture of the shield showing this?

srklipst

Post by srklipst »

I just reworked the board, reflowing all solder joints. Everything seems to be okay now.

I have no idea where my invisible 10KΩ resistor went, where it originally came from, or why it went away.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”