USB/DC/Solar Output voltage

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bbai

USB/DC/Solar Output voltage

Post by bbai »

I have the USB/DC/Solar charger v2 part# 390. When the input power is disconnected, the output voltage falls to the battery voltage, around 4vdc, or lower. Is this right?
Now that I go back and read the website description, and the tech page with the schematic, I don't see any clear info one way or the other.
The schematic shows the outputs connected directly to the MCP73871 chip, which I assume regulates the output voltage to 5vdc, since the webpage says "You can power another project like a Mintyboost at the same time by connecting to the LOAD output port". Mintyboost is a 5v device, but it doesn't make sense to charge a battery pack from a battery, so I guess it's ambiguous.
I'm sure I read about running Raspberry Pi's from it, which is what I'm trying to do, but I doubt the reliability of running them at 4vdc or less.

Franklin97355

Re: USB/DC/Solar Output voltage

Post by Franklin97355 »

The output of the solar charger LOAD pins is the input voltage of either the panel or the battery whichever is higher. It can be as high as 6 volts if the panel is in full sun.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you need a regulated 5v output, you can connect a "Verter" to the load pins: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2190

bbai

Post by bbai »

Thanks you for the info. It would be good to clarify on the site that this is for charging things when there is enough charge voltage, not for operating devices. I already have a PowerBoost 1000 Charger that I could put in between device and solar 390 unit, but I planned to use it to boost the voltage from a LiFePO4 battery, though I realize it can't be used to charge a LiFePO4 battery.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The Verter would also work for that, not at the same time though ;)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”