Real time clock to boot a Pi

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bbai

Real time clock to boot a Pi

Post by bbai »

I'm looking for something like the real time clocks that are available, that could trigger a Pi to boot on a programmed schedule. I envision the rtc having something like a crontab scheduler that can trigger the Pi to boot. The Pi would boot, run an @reboot crontab script, that included shutdown commands at the end, then remain off until the next boot trigger from the rtc. My goal is to collect (bee keeping) data in remote, non-grid-power locations, that would allow the data collection to go on for much longer than battery life would allow if the Pi can't shut off and get booted maybe once per day, for example.
Does anything like this exist?
Thanks you for the help.

alphanumeric

Re: Real time clock to boot a Pi

Post by alphanumeric »

I don't know of anything ready made that does that? You could likely make something up to do it using a very low power micro controller.
A Pi model 3 (3A+, 3B, 3B+) will boot up if you momentarily ground GPIO 3 (physical pin 5). And with a config.sys edit (dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown) another ground on that pin will make it do a proper shutdown.
Wire up a RTC to a micro controller and have micro controller do the magic by grounding GPIO 3.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”