Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

question about sensors and boards thermal and ir-tof
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

question about sensors and boards thermal and ir-tof

by AndreasWnorway on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:19 am

Good day,
I have two questions today for a project I am doing.
the project itself is to have a unit traversing with the wind in a 150mm pipeline creating a 3d map as well as finding leaks along the pipe.
1) is it possible to have 4x sensors gathering data at the same time? I was thinking of VL6180x and a thermal sensor, I am trying to cover a 360degree area with four sensors each covering 90 degrees in each quadrant, using the TOF sensor for a 3d point cloud and visualization and the thermal sensor recording as secondary data input. however, to have symmetry I would like each "sensor board" to have both thermal and IR sensor connected. is this doable?

in advance thanks for any replies.
Best regard
Andreas

AndreasWnorway

Re: question about sensors and boards thermal and ir-tof

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:19 am

I am trying to cover a 360degree area with four sensors each covering 90 degrees in each quadrant, using the TOF sensor for a 3d point cloud

The 90 degree FOV for the VL6180x is for the ambient light function. The FOV for TOF proximity sensing is only 25 degrees (see the diagram on page 71 of the datasheet): https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... asheet.pdf

Also, you only get 1 distance data point within that 25 degree cone. So even if you were to increase the sensor count to 15, you would still have a rather low-resolution point-cloud.

What resolution do you need for your 3d map?

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.