Alternative to FTDI Serial Cable
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Alternative to FTDI Serial Cable

by teh_trout on Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:20 pm

I've been working with Arduino Uno clones for a while but I recently started using boards without a USB-Serial interface built in so I bought the FTDI Serial cable from Adafruit. Unfortunately I've been unable to get it working on my machine and it looks like there are some serious FTDI/Mac issues. I'm running a new mac with Big Sur which seems to be some of the fun : (

https://www.adafruit.com/product/70

I'm really, really tired of hours of mucking around trying to get the kernel extensions and drivers working. Could someone recommend another cable, product or any other decent way of programming something like a Pro Mini from a Mac?

Thanks!

teh_trout

Re: Alternative to FTDI Serial Cable

by mikeysklar on Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 pm

@teh_trout,

The BigSur OSX changes that broke the PL2303, CH-341 and CP210X have been dramatic. I would suggest programming your board off a Raspberry Pi as the wait for device support for BigSur could be significant. I'm a OSX user as well and have regularly suffered through OSX releases breaking everything.

mikeysklar

by moiwur on Thu May 13, 2021 3:10 pm

Hi, Struggling here with the same issue. Have you found a solution?!

I will be eternally grateful.

moiwur

by mikeysklar on Thu May 13, 2021 5:30 pm

SiLabs has new MacOS drivers and I've seen some successful posts in their forums using them with BigSur. Checkout their March 2021 driver.

https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-t ... cp-drivers

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.