Therma Printer - print intensity
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Therma Printer - print intensity

by janolobos on Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:54 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:OK, as indicated, that software linked is provided without any support and is for use at your own risk.
If you'd like to risk it, you can revert/change the firmware using this tool that is from the manufacturer. We haven't tried it. It's completely utterly unsupported and you may break your printer. We won't replace it if it stops working due to a firmware change!

Printing a self-test page will be useful for a few reasons. We can compare the general quality of that print to the QR code print. It also typically has a readout of the actual power supply voltage seen by the printer, which might be useful information.

This is still, most likely, some form of power issue.

If you do not support the software that updates the firmware of the printer, why do you sell it with an outdated firmware?

In the attached image, on the left is the "Selftest" page, in the center the test print with the Python library and on the right the print of 2 images that I need to print in a quality that allows the reading of the QR
Attachments
Selftest.png
Selftest.png (746.3 KiB) Viewed 189 times

janolobos

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:49 pm

Thanks. So you can see the printer is reporting it is seeing only 5.7V for power. You've mentioned regulating the DC-DC converter to 7.5V and 8.5V. Neither of which are being seen by the printer. Does the 5.7V the printer is seeing agree with what you expect the power input to be?

adafruit_support_carter

by janolobos on Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:58 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Thanks. So you can see the printer is reporting it is seeing only 5.7V for power. You've mentioned regulating the DC-DC converter to 7.5V and 8.5V. Neither of which are being seen by the printer. Does the 5.7V the printer is seeing agree with what you expect the power input to be?

The test prints of the previous post I did it with 220v AC to 5v DC 2000mA adapter (In the initial posts I included a photo of the adapter), In the photos of this post I use a 220v AC to 12v DC 2000mA adapter connected to a DC-DC converter regulated at 9V.
Attachments
Seftest-2.png
Seftest-2.png (736.86 KiB) Viewed 187 times

janolobos

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:25 am

OK, now showing more like the expected 9V which seems fine. But still dim :(

What are you using for actual wiring to connect al this up? Can you post a photo of that - how power is being connected to the printer. Maybe something with that which is limiting the actual amount of current that can get to the printer?

adafruit_support_carter

by janolobos on Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:29 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:OK, now showing more like the expected 9V which seems fine. But still dim :(

What are you using for actual wiring to connect al this up? Can you post a photo of that - how power is being connected to the printer. Maybe something with that which is limiting the actual amount of current that can get to the printer?

The cable of the 12v adapter and the input and output cables of the DC-DC converters are thicker than that of the printer
Attachments
Print wiring.png
Print wiring.png (997.06 KiB) Viewed 179 times

janolobos

by adafruit2 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:52 pm

you will need to check an oscilloscope to see the power supply, its probably dipping. you need a TON of power at very short notice, you cna try adding some large caps or just go with 6 x AA batteries

adafruit2
Site Admin

by janolobos on Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:15 pm

adafruit2 wrote:you will need to check an oscilloscope to see the power supply, its probably dipping. you need a TON of power at very short notice, you cna try adding some large caps or just go with 6 x AA batteries

Mmm... 6 AA batteries in series? a bit difficult for me to do that.
Is there a way to reduce the printing speed so that the power consumption is slower or increase the "Heat Time" and improve the quality of the printing? I Search in internet for information about this and the library has some variables that supposedly allow doing that, I have modified them but the result is the same
Attachments
Lib.png
Lib.png (119.14 KiB) Viewed 170 times

janolobos

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:24 pm

It's probably still something with your power supply setup. Are the two you've been using, the 5V and 12V ones, the only ones you have available?

adafruit_support_carter

by janolobos on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:30 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:It's probably still something with your power supply setup. Are the two you've been using, the 5V and 12V ones, the only ones you have available?

Try with this power source, it is 9v 3A and the result is the same ... Will you continue to insist that the problem is in the power source? I need my money back ...
Attachments
Fuente 9v-3A.png
Fuente 9v-3A.png (667.92 KiB) Viewed 160 times

janolobos

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:33 pm

Let's just refund this. Send an email to support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and your order number and they can refund the purchase.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.