ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express and ArduinoBLE
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express and ArduinoBLE

by lunch_box on Sat May 29, 2021 11:35 pm

Hello,

Is it possible to use the ArduinoBLE libraries with the ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express? The Bluefruit libraries seem to differ subtantially from the ArduinoBLE libraries, which is making it difficult to run some example code I found. That project was designed around the Nano 33 BLE Sense. Both boards have the same CPU, so it seems like it shouldn't be that hard to use either library.

The project I am referring to: https://github.com/hoharald/leguno-remote

Thanks!

lunch_box

Re: ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express and ArduinoBLE

by blnkjns on Sun May 30, 2021 4:24 am

Cool project, going to try that out right away. I don't have the Itsy Bitsy version, otherwise I would try that out as well. You could do that too: just give it a go. The worst that can happen is some orange lines in the IDE with errors. If that happens, post them and see if we can get you any further.
What do you want to do with the IMU? You have a separate I2C LSM9DS1? Or do you replace that with the reading of analog sticks or something like that?

blnkjns

by lunch_box on Mon May 31, 2021 12:24 pm

I have tried it. The tool chain complains that the ItsyBitsy is not among the supported target boards. I suspect it might be a matter of adding the ItsyBitsy to that list, but I don't know how to do that. I also tried changing the board type to Nano 33, but unsurprisingly, that didn't work.
As for the IMU code- yes, my plan is to replace that segment with an analog stick. I bought a Wii nunchuck breakout board for that purpose.

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
WARNING: library ArduinoBLE claims to run on samd, megaavr, mbed, apollo3, mbed_nano, mbed_portenta architecture(s) and may be incompatible with your current board which runs on nrf52 architecture(s).
/home/*****/snap/arduino/current/Arduino/libraries/ArduinoBLE/src/utility/HCIUartTransport.cpp:33:2: error: #error "Unsupported board selected!"
   33 | #error "Unsupported board selected!"
      |  ^~~~~
/home/******/snap/arduino/current/Arduino/libraries/ArduinoBLE/src/utility/HCIUartTransport.cpp:99:40: error: 'SerialHCI' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'Serial'?
   99 | HCIUartTransportClass HCIUartTransport(SerialHCI, 912600);
      |                                        ^~~~~~~~~
      |                                        Serial
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Adafruit ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express.

lunch_box

by lunch_box on Mon May 31, 2021 12:33 pm

After a little more research, it seems that the Nano 33 runs Mbed OS. So I guess it would be a question of whether or not that can be installed on the ItsyBitsy. Since both boards are based on the nRF52840, it seems like it should be a fairly trivial thing to do.

lunch_box

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.