adafruit max 31865 3-wire configuration

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
emgimneer

adafruit max 31865 3-wire configuration

Post by emgimneer »

Hello, i have some questions about configuring the max 31865 for a 3 wire rtd. The instructions say to cut a trace on the right side of the pcb, but im not certain which one its referring to, I've asked some EE students and they don't know either. I've attached the instructional reference photo, and if someone could circle/mark the location to cut that would be very helpful.
reference photo
reference photo
adafruit rtd pic.png (266.62 KiB) Viewed 836 times

mikeysklar

Re: adafruit max 31865 3-wire configuration

Post by mikeysklar »

Hello @emgimneer,

You will want your 3-wire RTC setup to look just like the photo you included.

The left side of the photo with the "2/3 Wire" labeled jumper needs a solder blob.

The right side of the photo with the yellow arrow needs a cut between the 24 pad and 3 pad. Use a exacto to sever the connection and solder blob just on the 3 pad.

emgimneer

Post by emgimneer »

I tried those steps and got a fault, is this related? I did not turn up any results when i googled the problem.
Attachments
amplifier  error.png
amplifier error.png (17.26 KiB) Viewed 811 times

emgimneer

Post by emgimneer »

Further update, i briefly got it to report temperature, but whenever I open the serial monitor it stops reporting and reverts to a string of unreadable characters. This was on my 2nd amplifier and RTD, not the one I used previously, and it has since stopped working entirely. It has reverted to the earlier issue of reporting -242 degrees and a string of characters. I tried again with my third and final amplifier + RTD, which I hadn't even touched yet, but even though I set it up just like the 2nd (when it was briefly working), the third didn't work at all. What do?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The screenshot you posted looks like a mismatch of serial console speeds. Make sure the Arduino IDE serial console is set to the same baudrate as your code. There is a little drop down menu in the bottom right corner of the serial console.

emgimneer

Post by emgimneer »

That's solved the characters, thank you, but its still reporting -242.2 degrees. Do you know how to resolve this?

emgimneer

Post by emgimneer »

Another update, the first two are now working, for the most part, but the third one isn't. I tried a few different things with the soldering on each, but when i try to recreate it on the third amplifier its still nonfunctional.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

What was the necessary change you had to make to the first two? Usually it is just the probe is not connected correctly if you are gettin a -242.

Can you post photos of the third unit?

emgimneer

Post by emgimneer »

From what I recall, I just undid my soldering on the first two and tried to cut deeper, then re-soldered them. They really shouldn't be any different at this point though since that's more or less just what i did to the third from the beginning.
Attachments
rtd mine.png
rtd mine.png (313.07 KiB) Viewed 698 times
rtd mine.png
rtd mine.png (313.07 KiB) Viewed 698 times

emgimneer

Post by emgimneer »

Alright, pulled in even more help and finally got the last one to work. Probably.

emgimneer

Post by emgimneer »

Alright, well they worked for all of 2 days, and now its the same issue again. -242.2, no matter which amplifier or rtd I use, and nothing I do seems to fix it. I'm not certain what the issue is, they were working fine last night and nothing has changed.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@emgimneer,

This situation of working to not working is most likely a wiring issue. A lose connection or issue with the terminal block? I would try debugging with a multimeter. Go over each connection measuring resistance and looking for anything suspiciously loose.

It might make sense to use a perfboard or more permanent soldered connections (getting off the breadboard) at this point as you have briefly shown that everything was in the correct place.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”