Adafruit Thermal mini CSN-A2 error feeding paper

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rickygomez

Adafruit Thermal mini CSN-A2 error feeding paper

Post by rickygomez »

I have do some test in this printer, self test and arduino test and works ok and suddenly it begin having some feeding problems, the paper won't feed when printing and when feed button is press paper some times feed and some times it takes back the paper inside.

mikeysklar

Re: Adafruit Thermal mini CSN-A2 error feeding paper

Post by mikeysklar »

@rickygomez,

Looking through the troubelshooting portion of our guide two possibilities come to mind:

1) Is the power supply sufficient? What are you using to power the device? 5v will work if it can provide enough stable current, 9v @ 1A is an option as well.

2) Is the paper loaded correctly with no bends and does it rotate easily?

https://learn.adafruit.com/mini-thermal ... leshooting

rickygomez

Post by rickygomez »

I am using a 5v 5A power supply after I post it begins to work ok and print without problem the last week today it suddenly starts with the same problem. Is there a way I can share a video?
If I pull the paper while is printing it will print but if I stop pulling the paper then it wont feed the paper. If I press the feed button it will feed without problem but in any moment it will reverse feed.

rickygomez

Post by rickygomez »

Gif to try to show how it feed and then reverse feed, some times it feed multple times and then it reverse feed
Attachments
Gif to try to show how it feed and then reverse feed, some times it feed multple times and then it reverse feed
Presentation1.gif (338.51 KiB) Viewed 292 times

rickygomez

Post by rickygomez »

Another gif
Attachments
gif#2
gif#2
Presentation3.gif (667.67 KiB) Viewed 292 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for the GIFs those are helpful. You can also link to videos you post elsewhere (google drive / YouTube) etc.

I've been looking through all the FEED references in the CSN-A2 datasheet. There is some related stuff, but I don't think it will resolve anything. It might be helpful though to note these two points and specifically that "backward paper feeding direction" is the term they are using.
From the beginning of the processing of this command till the finish of hardware reset, mechanical operations (including initializing the position of the print head when the cover is open, paper feeding using the FEED button, etc.) cannot be performed.
https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheet ... Manual.pdf
912FD55B-E552-484D-95D2-628722CFBA6F.jpeg
912FD55B-E552-484D-95D2-628722CFBA6F.jpeg (585.47 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Just curious about your setup. What kind of paper are you using? Did you reload it or make any changes after it worked for a week and then resumed it's backward feeding?

rickygomez

Post by rickygomez »

No, no change of paper same roll. I am using 2.25" wide 50 ft thermal paper from office supply store.

Does the printer have like a reverse function when paper get stuck? the paper move freely when the button is press some times backward some times forward but when I try to print the self test or any print using arduino it sounds like stuck and the paper barely moves.

As I mention before if I help the paper feeding by pulling it will print of course a little distorted because of irregular feed speed.

I have check my power supply amp and voltage, the voltage is 5.8 volts it drops to 5.6 when printing ( helping the feed by manually pulling paper) and current goes up to 1.6 amp.

My concern is if there is something wrong with the feeding motor or the gears

rickygomez

Post by rickygomez »

rickygomez

Post by rickygomez »

Please I need a solution soon, I a have a vending machine out of service because of this printer.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank for the additional videos. They make it even clearer with the backwards feeding.

I doubt we will come to a quick solution unless this printer was ordered from us in the last 30 days and in that case we can try replacing the unit.

rickygomez

Post by rickygomez »

I order from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XW ... UTF8&psc=1 mid march, only use it a couple of times until 2 weeks ago.
By the way yesterday I try sending feed BANNED from arduino "printer.feed(10);" and it feed but when printing it does what I show in the videos.

rickygomez

Post by rickygomez »

When a barcode is send it will feed and print the barcode portion and then when printing the numbers from the barcode it will get stuck again

rickygomez

Post by rickygomez »

Ok so I manage to solve this, it was a faulty connection in the stepper motor, only one coil was working so stepper move randomly to either ways and the torque was low that's why it doenst feed when printing.

I desolder the stepper and solder it again to the conductive tape.

rickygomez

Post by rickygomez »

Just one last question, can this printer be connected to a 12v power supply?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (288.56 KiB) Viewed 260 times

rickygomez

Post by rickygomez »

Just one last question, can this printer be connected to a 12v power supply?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”