MPU 6050 calibration

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
loggy

MPU 6050 calibration

Post by loggy »

Hi folks! I am planning to make several devices which use the MPU 6050.
I am aware of the steps to calibrate the gyro (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-sen ... alibration)

My objective is to explore the possibility of "post-use calibration", if that makes sense:

I was thinking that maybe I can leave all the gyros logging the "no movement" overnight, eg lying still on a table, then next day deploy them into the objects (which movements I need to monitor). This way when the measuring period ends I can retrieve the data at the beginning of the logging and set the "zero" position, which I will then subtract from all subsequent measurements. Is that feasible?

I'm a bit tight with the schedule and I would like to avoid, if possible, individually calibrating, one by one, my dozens of MPU6050. I would very much need that time to prepare other aspects like casing, soldering, etc. So, will the measurements be complete rubbish if I don't calibrate each of the gyros before using them?

I am aware that this will mean a lot of extra calculations afterwards, but time afterwards is not so limiting as the "time left to launching" my project. So I have no problem in taking longer to calculate afterwards, as far as the data are usable of course. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: MPU 6050 calibration

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yeah, that should work.

The sensor's offsets should be reasonably constant, so it doesn't matter if you subtract them from the data on the fly or after you've collected the uncorrected readings.

If you want to be extra sure, get offset readings before and after taking the readings. If there's any change, you can approximate the change as a straight line between the pre- and post-calibration sets.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”