LiPoly backpack red LED always on

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Paulg5678

LiPoly backpack red LED always on

Post by Paulg5678 »

I have a LiPoly backpack attached to my trinket pro 5v and whenever i have the battery connected, the red CHG LED stays lit and the green DON LED just barely glows a bit. When I connect the trinket to a USB charger, the red LED gets a tad brighter while the green LED goes to full brightness as well. Also, the green LED on the trinket stays lit even when i have the backpack's power switch turned off.

dastels

Re: LiPoly backpack red LED always on

Post by dastels »

Did you cut the trace when you installed the switch? Note that the switch disconnects only the battery. It has no effect on power from the USB connector.

The LED behavior is odd as I would think (based on the schematic and charger datasheet) that one of the other should be lit or maybe both dimly. It might be oscillating between charged and charging but that would be odd as well. What happens if you let the battery run down some then plug in USB?

Dave

Paulg5678

Post by Paulg5678 »

Yes, i did cut the power switch trace before adding my switch to the backpack. Even with no USB power, red LED stays lit at probably 75% brightness and green led is just barely lit.

I tried letting the battery run down a bit, when i then connect USB, both green and red LED's get brighter.

Strange to me though that the green LED on the trinket itself stays on even when the backpack power switch is off and there is no USB power (only battery).

dastels

Post by dastels »

Strange to me though that the green LED on the trinket itself stays on even when the backpack power switch is off and there is no USB power (only battery).
Yes, that should not happen. The switch disconnects the battery from the Vbat pin, removing power from the Trinket. Can you post Clear photos of the connection of the backpack to the Trinket?

Dave

Paulg5678

Post by Paulg5678 »

IMG_3260_2_50.jpg
IMG_3260_2_50.jpg (691.48 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Here is a view of the connection as well as the LEDs

Paulg5678

Post by Paulg5678 »

Also, strange enough, if i unplug the battery and connect the USB, both red and green LEDs stay on

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”