Power consumption and Sleep mode for MCP9600 breakout

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Macastor

Power consumption and Sleep mode for MCP9600 breakout

Post by Macastor »

Hello experts,
I’m puzzled by MCP9600 power consumption. I’m wondering if any experts here could share me some tips or helps.

I use 2x “Adafruit MCP9600 I2C thermocouple Amplifier” with my Arduino Pro Mini setup. It works fine but it consumes more power(current) than I thought. I can’t find detail information on Adafruit webpage, but I do find data-sheet on Microhip, which says “Operating Current” is about 500 µA (2.7-5.5V). However, I measured the current in my setup, the 1st MCP9600 breakout(I2C_Address:0x67) is about 0.8mA and the 2nd breakout(I2C_Address:0x60) is around 1.2 mA.

My setup is powered by 18650 Li-ion battery, which is 4.2-3.7V. For power saving purpose, I’ve removed the regulator & LED on Arduino( and also LED on RTC 3232 & SD card module). The MCP9600’s are powered by battery directly, not VCC on Arduino.

My question are:
1). Is it reasonable that MCP’s current around 0.8-1.19 mA? I mean, it's way higher than 500 µA from the data-sheet. Should I worried about this? Or it's higher just because of poor soldering or wire material?
2). Due to sampling scheme, I’ve put Arduino in a long sleep( LowPower.h). I’m wondering is it possible set MCP’s to sleep, too? I didn’t find any kind of sleep-mode functions in <Adafruit_MCP9600.h> or <Adafruit_MCP9600.cpp>. How can I do this?

I have 200 pieces of MCP9600. I really want to dig more about it. Thanks for any ideas and comments.

Peace.

sj_remington

Re: Power consumption and Sleep mode for MCP9600 breakout

Post by sj_remington »

You might want to spend a bit more time studying the MCP9600 data sheet, and explain how you measure the supply current, under what conditions.

There is a shutdown mode, with power consumption < 5 uA, and the power consumption during "I2C active" status is typically greater than 1 mA.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”