ESP8266 Brief Questions

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
FloridaChris

ESP8266 Brief Questions

Post by FloridaChris »

Hi,
I'd like to migrate a project prototyped on an Arduino Uno to a smaller controller, probably a ESP8266 because they're so inexpensive and small. My current project is very simple, only using 5V, GND, Digital Pins 10, 11, and 13.

Can someone please help me get by Bill of Materials and understanding accurate?

How do I get battery power to the controller when it's not connected to the computer? Is this the Adafruit board, or can I just plug a battery straight in, like I'm plugging a 9V into the Uno currently?
What kind of batteries do I need? Please send a link so I can order some
What kind of board (if any) do I need? Please send link
Is there a cable between the board and the ESP8266, or does plugging into the board establish this link. Please send link, if cable needed.

How do I charge the batteries for it? Is there a separate charger? Please send link

What kind of cord do I need to send my code from the computer to the board? Please send link

Is it possible to program the board through the Wifi Module?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Chris

johnzbesko

Re: ESP8266 Brief Questions

Post by johnzbesko »

One big difference between the ESP and the Arduino is that ESP devices require 3.3v. The ESP8266 boards come in different flavors. The smallest, cheapest one (ESP8266-01) only has 8 pins and only 2 are GPIO. I've created battery powered ESP8266 devices by using a battery pack that connected to a MP1584 device that converts an input voltage to whatever you set it for, e.g. 3.3v. If you use a lithium battery pack, there are small devices/shields that enable using a USB charger to charge the batteries which can power the ESP. You are able to plug 9v into the Arduino because it contains a voltage regulator, otherwise known as a level-shifter.

Hope this helps. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”