TB6612 breakout wiring for standby pin

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MountainMan370

TB6612 breakout wiring for standby pin

Post by MountainMan370 »

I'd like to temporarily disable my Adafruit NEMA 17 stepper motors if they're not going to be actively moving for a while to reduce the overheating. I'm using them to move a linear table holding my camera so there may be several minutes between movement commands so the steppers are heating up while maintaining their current position. (I've added a heatsink with a built-in fan that helps a lot with the heating issue. ) I read some other posts regarding the use of the STBY pin but was a little unclear on its implementation so I'd like someone with more knowledge to check the following:
It looks like I can program its standby function using another digital pin connected to the STBY pin on the TB6612 and bringing it to a low state using "digitalWrite(STBY, LOW)" . Is this correct ? Another user reversed the LOW, STBY command but I think it should be (PIN, Value) which is why I'm checking. I did note that that to disable the standby state I should include a slight delay after bringing the STBY pin HIGH again before any movement commands.
Thank you for any guidance you can provide

adafruit_support_bill

Re: TB6612 breakout wiring for standby pin

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It looks like I can program its standby function using another digital pin connected to the STBY pin on the TB6612 and bringing it to a low state using "digitalWrite(STBY, LOW)" . Is this correct ?
That is correct. There is a weak pullup resistor on board which keeps the outputs enabled by default. Pulling it LOW with a GPIO pin will put the chip into standby mode and shut off the output current to the motors.
I did note that that to disable the standby state I should include a slight delay after bringing the STBY pin HIGH again before any movement commands.
There are no timing constraints mentioned in the datasheet. But a slight delay should not hurt anything.

MountainMan370

Re: TB6612 breakout wiring for standby pin

Post by MountainMan370 »

Thank you !

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”