Terminology - Backpack

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
KBRZ

Terminology - Backpack

Post by KBRZ »

Warning. Another noob question.

I know what a shield is, and a breakout board. But what exactly is a backpack, and what makes it not a breakout board or a shield? Does backpack mean that it's self-contained, (e.g. has it's own dedicated MCU chip and code), and just needs power and serial data to operate? Or does it mean that it's optimized for a specific platform, the way a featherwing is specific to a feather?

dastels

Re: Terminology - Backpack

Post by dastels »

Based on what's in the Adafruit shop, I'd say "backpack" doesn't mean anything specific. It's just an add-on board. Everything from the LiPo backpack to display backpacks.

To me, though, The LiPo Backpack https://www.adafruit.com/product/2124 is what I think of when I hear "backpack" since it's a small add-on board that mounts directly onto another board.

At the end of the day, it's not much use to get caught up with somewhat arbitrary terminology.

Dave

KBRZ

Post by KBRZ »

Thanks for that, Dave.

I agree, at the end of the day, words are just words. If the project gets accomplished, that's all that matters.

However, like anything, learning the language is paramount to effective communication. I work with an eastern European immigrant, and although his thick accent makes him at times, very, very difficult for most people to understand, I am always impressed by how *thoroughly* he has learned the English language. He has definitely put a lot of effort into learning the small things, the unimportant nuances, parts of the language that can be, sort of left out, without sacrificing conveyance of the message. I have a lot of respect for him for going that extra mile, and for anyone else who does so. There are definitely a lot of people these days who don't put that much effort.... into anything.

But I guess that's what separates us nerds from the regular people. Lol.

Cheers!

dastels

Post by dastels »

"Backpack" is odd as the other terms for add-on boards are fairly well defined: shield, hat, bonnet, shim, etc.

Dave

dastels

Post by dastels »

"Backpack" is odd as the other terms for add-on boards are fairly well defined: shield, hat, bonnet, shim, etc.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”