Contd - RGB LEDs and Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Dr

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pobo123

Contd - RGB LEDs and Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Dr

Post by pobo123 »

Hi. I am trying to connect 15 RGY (red, yellow and green) LEDS with common anodes and have been looking at the viewtopic.php?f=22&p=170571 discussion (now closed) which is the most useful information I've managed to find so far. Basically, I would like to use an Arduino Mega and some PCA9865 boards to control 15 model BANNED signal lights. In the discussion I attached the link to, adafruit_support_bill suggests "connect the common anode lead to 5v, and connect each of the R, G & B leads to one PWM channel...". I am a newbie here, please can someone explain in more detail how to connect the anode lead to 5v. I am confused what this means and how to do it.

Franklin97355

Re: Contd - RGB LEDs and Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Serv

Post by Franklin97355 »

Can you post a link to the LEDs you are using? are you using a single LED per signal or three LEDs?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you are using an Arduino Mega, follow the connection instructions here: https://learn.adafruit.com/16-channel-p ... king-it-up

The PWM/Servo driver board has a row of 3-pin headers. The top row is the PWM signal. The bottom row is GND. And the center row is labeled V+. If you connect a jumper from the VCC pin to the V+ pin on the edge of the board, that will provide 5v power to the center row of pins.

pobo123

Post by pobo123 »

franklin97355 wrote:Can you post a link to the LEDs you are using? are you using a single LED per signal or three LEDs?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154080044333

pobo123

Post by pobo123 »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:If you are using an Arduino Mega, follow the connection instructions here: https://learn.adafruit.com/16-channel-p ... king-it-up

The PWM/Servo driver board has a row of 3-pin headers. The top row is the PWM signal. The bottom row is GND. And the center row is labeled V+. If you connect a jumper from the VCC pin to the V+ pin on the edge of the board, that will provide 5v power to the center row of pins.
Is that the VCC pin on the PWM board and the V+ pin on the same PWM board please?

adafruit_support_bill

Yes. The VCC pin will have 5v as supplied by the Mega. If you connect that to V+, then all the V+ pins will have 5v also.

pobo123

Post by pobo123 »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Yes. The VCC pin will have 5v as supplied by the Mega. If you connect that to V+, then all the V+ pins will have 5v also.
I already have a jumper lead running from the Arduino 5V pin to the VCC pin on the PCA board. How do I add another one? Sorry if I am missing something obvious here.

adafruit_support_bill

There is another identical set of pins on the far end of the board.

pobo123

Post by pobo123 »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:There is another identical set of pins on the far end of the board.
Ok. Great. Thank you - some progress :-)

I think I need to add some resistors before I continue and do some damage. The lights came on very bright!

Could connecting the V+ pin to the other VCC be a problem though if a need to chain PCA boards? This is what I am hoping to do next.

adafruit_support_bill

If you run out of pins, you can always splice some wires. Either the old fashioned way with solder and heat-shrink. Or with solderless 'cold-splice' wire taps.: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1494

pobo123

Post by pobo123 »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:If you run out of pins, you can always splice some wires. Either the old fashioned way with solder and heat-shrink. Or with solderless 'cold-splice' wire taps.: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1494
Thank you very much - your assistance has been very helpful and is much appreciated.

pobo123

Post by pobo123 »

As I have a single common anode wire for each set of three LEDs (RYG), please does anyone know if I can use one resistor on the ground wire or do I still need resistors for each LED?

adafruit_support_bill

You should use a separate resistor for each LED.

pobo123

Post by pobo123 »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:You should use a separate resistor for each LED.
got it. thanks

pobo123

Post by pobo123 »

Hi Guys. Me again. Still scratching my head. It was suggested that I use a resistor for each of my LEDs but when I read the documentation here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/16-channel-p ... p?view=all

It says, "First wire a LED to the board as follows. Note you don't need to use a resistor to limit current through the LED as the PCA9685 will limit the current to around 10mA:"

I am confused even after watching several electronics youtube videos explaining the calculation of resistance and ohms law!!

Please, can someone explain why I need to add resistors with my planned setup even though the PCA9685 limits the current to around 10mA?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”