Library "ArduinoBLE 2" cannot be used

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xldaedalus

Library "ArduinoBLE 2" cannot be used

Post by xldaedalus »

Bluefruit_issue.jpg
Bluefruit_issue.jpg (77.24 KiB) Viewed 322 times
I'm trying to get an nRF52832 Bluefruit Feather board up and running. I followed all the installation instruction. I try to load any sketch, and when the Arduino IDE starts I get the following pop up.

The library "ArduinoBLE 2" cannot be used.
Library folder names must start with a letter or number, followed by letters,
numbers, dashes, dots and underscores. Maximum length is 63 character
OK

No other information is provided. I did file and folder searches for "ArduinoBLE 2" and didn't find any. I have set as Additional Boards Manager URLs" https://adafruit.github.io/arduino-boar ... index.json. But I cannot access anything at this URL

Needless to say, the Feather Board does nothing.

Furthermore, in the set up instructions, located at "learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-nrf52-feather-learning-guide/arduino-bsp-setup" Item 3.) Update the bootloader (nRF52832 ONLY) links me to "learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-nrf52-feather-learning-guide/updating-the-bootloader" shows an image of the drop down boxes of the IDE. Under the line - Board "Adafruit Bluefruit nRF52832 Feather" (no such board name is selectable in my IDE, only Adafruit Feather nRF52832). the line reads - Bootloader: "s132 6.1.1 r0" next to it is a highlighted box that says - s132 6.1.1 r0

Mine says - SoftDevice: "S132 6.1.1" and the highlighted box says - S132 6.1.1

no "Bootloader", no r0. There is no way I can find that states what version the bootloader is. When I click Get Info I get

BN: Unknown board
VID: 10C4
PID: EA60
SN: Upload any sketch to obtain it
OK

Which I can't do because I can't upload any sketches.

Obviously someone, somewhere has added a {space} in the folder / library name, or forgot a - or an _. I'd fix it if I knew where it was. But the problem with uploading sketches by be a bricked or incorrect bootloader. One could assume that "Adafruit Bluefruit nRF52832 Feather" is the same as "Adafruit Feather nRF52832", that "Bootloader:" equals "SoftDevice:" and s132 6.1.1 r0 is probably the same as S132. 6.1.1 but computer programs deal in the minutiae. "Exact" same <> "About the" same. And "assume" is an ass of u an me.

Can anyone help me? Adafruit Support? Thanks in advance.

neradoc

Re: Library "ArduinoBLE 2" cannot be used

Post by neradoc »

xldaedalus wrote:Obviously someone, somewhere has added a {space} in the folder / library name, or forgot a - or an _. I'd fix it if I knew where it was.
It looks to me more like the IDE tried to install the ArduinoBLE library, but for some reason it was already there or there was something with the same name, so it renamed by adding " 2" at the end.
In the Arduino IDE preferences at the top it tells you where the Arduino sketches directory is.
Open that in the file manager and open the libraries folder, look if there is an "ArduinoBLE 2" directory.
If yes I would delete that and see if that fixes it.

And maybe the "ArduinoBLE" folder if there, and reinstall the library from the "Manage Libraries" menu.

xldaedalus

Post by xldaedalus »

I found one clue, finally. I'm trying to use Microchip Studio to debug sketches. Since I can't seem to get the VM studio to "create" sketches, I can open them. So, I create the sketch in Arduino IDE and then import it into Microchip.

Either Microchip Studio or the Arduino IDE created an "ArduinoBLE 2" folder instead of overwriting the existing "ArduinoBLE" folder. Good thing as the folder is empty.

Now I can open the Arduino IDE without getting the "Library ArduinoBLE 2 can't be used" flag.

One small step forward. Now that I've uninstalled and deleted everything trying to find that bug. I'm starting over. Still doesn't really explain why the Bluefruit wouldn't take a sketch.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Under the line - Board "Adafruit Bluefruit nRF52832 Feather" (no such board name is selectable in my IDE, only Adafruit Feather nRF52832). the line reads
The guide does seem to have the incorrect specific nomenclature. Please use the Feedback/Corrections link in the left hand nav menu on the guide page to submit this. That way the guide author will get notice to take a look and change it.

For this Feather:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3406
the Adafruit Feather nRF52832 option should work. Are you not even able to upload a basic Blink example?
https://learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-nr ... 2860620-13

xldaedalus

Post by xldaedalus »

No. Nothing worked. Compile took 2+ minutes. I was running Aruduino IDE in Windows 10 running on Parallels in Mac. I installed the Arduino IDE on the Mac direct, and the Arduino Nano 33 IOT worked perfect. Compiled in <30 sec. I tried running the Bluefruit nRF52832 on the Mac, and running the basic BLINK app, I got this response:

Sketch uses 24480 bytes (8%) of program storage space. Maximum is 290816 bytes.
Global variables use 3268 bytes (6%) of dynamic memory, leaving 48956 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 52224 bytes.
Upgrading target on /dev/cu.usbserial-02243932 with DFU package /private/var/folders/zk/h_fcljvd2lb2xsjcz1hdcnjm0000gn/T/arduino_build_482445/Blink.ino.zip. Flow control is disabled, Single bank, Touch disabled
Timed out waiting for acknowledgement from device.

Failed to upgrade target. Error is: No data received on serial port. Not able to proceed.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "__main__.py", line 296, in serial
File "dfu/dfu.py", line 235, in dfu_send_images
File "dfu/dfu.py", line 203, in _dfu_send_image
File "dfu/dfu_transport_serial.py", line 155, in send_init_packet
File "dfu/dfu_transport_serial.py", line 243, in send_packet
File "dfu/dfu_transport_serial.py", line 282, in get_ack_nr
nordicsemi.exceptions.NordicSemiException: No data received on serial port. Not able to proceed.

Possible causes:
- Selected Bootloader version does not match the one on Bluefruit device.
Please upgrade the Bootloader or select correct version in Tools->Bootloader.
- Baud rate must be 115200, Flow control must be off.
- Target is not in DFU mode. Ground DFU pin and RESET and release both to enter DFU mode.

Instructions about loading and updated bootloader is confusing (see above) and I don't want to brick the device until I get my Atmel ICE to fix it.

xldaedalus

Post by xldaedalus »

I found a way to program the board if I bricked it. I follow the instructions for upgrading the nRF52832 bootloader available on the Adafruit website, ignoring the inconsistencies, and now the blink sketch works. I see the following on the debug window

Upgrading target on /dev/cu.usbserial-02243932 with DFU package /private/var/folders/zk/h_fcljvd2lb2xsjcz1hdcnjm0000gn/T/arduino_build_482445/Blink.ino.zip. Flow control is disabled, Single bank, Touch disabled
########################################
########
Activating new firmware
Device programmed.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”