There is no USPS pickup on Monday Feb 15th, 2016 because of President's Day. USPS orders placed after 11am EST Fri February 12th will go out Tuesday February 16. UPS orders will ship as normal.

MicroAmps and the INA169
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

MicroAmps and the INA169

by soccerjmp on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi all!

I am simply trying to measure the current that is flowing from a solar panel. I just purchased the INA169 current sensor from adafruit and was attempting to verify its functionality. Below is a schematic of what I am attempting to do. I just want the current flowing through the resistor. I know that it should be reading (5/1000) = 5mA. I am using the analog read for the signal input. This value fluctuates between 1 and zero. I have tried to Fmap the analog read and manually calculating the value ( 5 * AnalogSignal)/1023 . I simply want the serial com. to display the current. Any Ideas? THANKS
Attachments
Untitled.png
Schematic
Untitled.png (16.55 KiB) Viewed 608 times
soccerjmp

Re: MicroAmps and the INA169

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:41 pm

The default output is 1v/A. So for 5mA, the output should be .005v. Since the Arduino A/D is 10 bits, using the 5v default analog reference, a 5v signal will give you a raw reading of 1023. A 0.005v signal will give you a raw reading of about 1. Exactly what you are seeing.

To get more resolution at for reading smaller currents, you need to increase the load resistance (default is 10K) and/or use a lower analog reference voltage. Doubling the load resistance will give you twice the resolution. Halving the reference voltage will do the same.

Another option is to go to a higher resolution A/D such as the ADS1115 : http://adafruit.com/products/1085

adafruit_support_bill

Re: MicroAmps and the INA169

by dboechler on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:38 am

If your circuit drawing is acurate you have the current sense resistor in the wrong place. It should be across the VIN+/-

You have it down stream..
dboechler

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.