Motor Shield: What does the VIN jumper do?

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cory2067

Motor Shield: What does the VIN jumper do?

Post by cory2067 »

I'm starting my first Arduino project, and I just got the v2 motor shield. I haven't been able to test it, since my arduino hasn't arrived yet.
I'm wondering what the VIN jumper does. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm pretty sure VIN has something to do with power supply.
Since there are terminals for an external power supply on the board, I'm not sure why this VIN is needed, or even what it does. Also, there's a part that presumably covers up the jumper, and I'm not sure what purpose that serves.

Can anyone enlighten me on all this?
Thanks.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Motor Shield: What does the VIN jumper do?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The Motor Shield is designed *not* to take power from the Arduino.

Even small motors can pull enough current to damage a USB port, so the PCB is designed to require a separate power source connected to the two supply terminals along the side. That can be inconvenient though, especially if you're only running small hobby motors and are powering the Arduino through the DC barrel jack from a supply stronger than a USB port.

That's what the VIN jumper is for.

When you plug the shunt across the VIN jumper, it connects the Arduino's DC barrel jack to the motor power rail. The connection comes from the upstream side of the Arduino's voltage regulator, so the full voltage from your supply goes to the motors, while the regulator protects the Arduino itself from anything the motors are doing.

cory2067

Post by cory2067 »

Oh ok, that makes sense.
So if I'm running a servo and two steppers (NEMA 17) would it be fine to hook the DC barrel jack up to the arduino, or should I like chop the end off and hook it to the power terminals on the motor shield?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

For most small motors, you can plug it into the barrel jack. Motors can cause interference sometimes. If you notice any strange behavior such as random resets, you can cut the plug, remove the VIN jumper and connect directly to the shield.

Also note that the servos take their power from the Arduino regulated 5v pin - not the same supply as the steppers or DC motors. This works well for most servos. Some high-powered servos can cause interference as well. The tutorial explains how to power Servos externally if necessary.

KIAD2020

Post by KIAD2020 »

Is it safe to use the motor shield with the VIN JUMPER sheath or cover? And where can I buy another one of those VIN JUMPER sheaths?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Is it safe to use the motor shield with the VIN JUMPER
It is safe if used according to the instructions: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mot ... ing-motors
And where can I buy another one of those VIN JUMPER sheaths?
They are available from just about any supplier of electronic components:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... gL_yvD_BwE
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-2-54mm- ... B00008VF46

KIAD2020

Post by KIAD2020 »

AHHHHH THANK YOU I LOVE YOU!!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”