uncanny eyes with Teensy 3.1

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Alex_Unknown

Re: uncanny eyes with Teensy 3.1

Post by Alex_Unknown »

When I try the blink sketch it tells me the same error where I'm not pressing the button. However it doesn't say it's too big to load.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Since it's a general Teensy issue with any sketch you'll probably get a quicker and more informed response in PJRC's forum:
https://forum.pjrc.com

I've seen this before a long time back and can't recall what triggered it. Might've been as simple as a reboot or using a different USB port.

Alex_Unknown

Post by Alex_Unknown »

I tried what you said but it still doesn't work. Does this have anything to do with the teensy board not lighting up when it's plugged in? Because if so my board doesn't light up when plugged in only the backpack does.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Teensy doesn't have a power LED, so it's normal that you won't see anything.

Alex_Unknown

Post by Alex_Unknown »

Ok thank you I saw people with what looked like LEDs on their teensy but I guess not XD. Anyway I've been looking through the website you gave me and can't seem to find anything that will help.

flightrisk

Post by flightrisk »

Did you get it working? I was going to say try a different cable if you had not already. Also, my Teensy 3.2 DOES have a power led since mine has always lit up the minute I plugged it in to let me know it was working. It comes with the blink sketch loaded, so immediately starts flashing the LED. When I run the uncanny eyes sketch, the LED lights orange the instant I plug it in, then it goes out, then it comes back on once the sketch starts running. The other thing I thought of is, are you sure the cable is plugged in correctly? It is upside down from what I would think is "normal". It is almost impossible to tell on my Teensy which way is the small end which I think is a design flaw in the connector. The USB cable is like a trapezoid with a wider part, call it bottom and a narrower part, call it top. The top usually has the USB icon printed on it. The top or narrower part goes towards the bottom or what used to be called the "solder side" of the Teensy board.

bentley

Post by bentley »

keep getting this compile error. library was downloaded direct from Github, tried on two different machines.

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), TD: 1.40, Board: "Teensy 3.2 / 3.1, Serial, 72 MHz, Faster, US English"

In file included from C:\Users\User\Desktop\uncannyEyes\uncannyEyes.ino:1:0:

C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_1351/Adafruit_SSD1351.h:91:1: error: expected class-name before '{' token

{ public:

^

Error compiling for board Teensy 3.2 / 3.1.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

There seems to be a spurious '{' character in the library header file. This isn't present in the code on Github. Re-install the library and give it another try.

prairietech

Post by prairietech »

Adafruit has been out of inventory of their 1.44" Color TFT LCD Display PRODUCT ID: 2088 for a few weeks now.
Can any of their other TFT LCD displays (they have in stock) be substituted?

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

'Fraid not. In order to get good frame rates, the code is fairly tightly optimized to just the 128x128 OLED or TFT displays.

prairietech

Post by prairietech »

Darn, I was hoping there would be another go to display that could be substituted instead. The OLED units are still available but naturally at a steeper price.

I hope this is not a sign of Adafruit deciding to end product support for this project. The thumb joystick product ID 444 has been out of stock for several months. And now the TFT LCD display has been unavailable for a long time too.

dfoley

Post by dfoley »

I have used the this project in several Halloween props and love the look. As part of an animatronic project, I want to control the eye movement with a controller (parallax propeller board or similar). I can record and playback servo sequences for pwm output. Any ideas of best way to approach controlling eye movement by controller? Can I use other gio pins on the teensy with appropriate software changes?

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Seems like serial or I2C between the two devices would be easier, but if you already have something generating servo pulses, you might look into using the capture/compare peripheral of the Teensy for reading this. Looks like there's some threads in the PJRC forums on how its done. As long as you steer clear of the SPI and select pins and such used by the eyes code, should be fine working this way.

MUTE_the_Cyberwolf

Post by MUTE_the_Cyberwolf »

At first good Morning.
Now my Problem is that i have right next to me a Teensy 3.2 and two OLED Screens (SSD1351) and i wanna compile the uncannyEyes.ino And the IDE always spitts out this one Error at Line 236 that there is no member named spiWrite in the Library. I already tried using the TFT Library to find out if the Library or the Code is the Problem. With the TFT Library it worked flawlessly and also after uploading a SPI Test Sketch from the Library itself it worked without any problems. Now i am sure that the Adafruit_SSD1351 Library is the Problem.
Here is the Error Code from the IDE

PS I already tested the OLEDs too they work perfectly on my Raspberrry Pi Snake Eyes Bonnet.
The Librarys were installed exactly like in the Tutorial (not with the Teensy Installer)

Code: Select all

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Windows 10), TD: 1.45, Board: "Teensy 3.2 / 3.1, Serial, 72 MHz, Faster, US English"

uncannyEyes: In function 'void setup()':
uncannyEyes:236: error: 'displayType {aka class Adafruit_SSD1351}' has no member named 'spiWrite'
       eye[e].display->spiWrite(e ?

^

uncannyEyes: In function 'void drawEye(uint8_t, uint16_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t)':
uncannyEyes:355: error: 'displayType {aka class Adafruit_SSD1351}' has no member named 'spiWrite'
   eye[e].display->spiWrite(0); eye[e].display->spiWrite(SCREEN_HEIGHT - 1);

^

uncannyEyes:355: error: 'displayType {aka class Adafruit_SSD1351}' has no member named 'spiWrite'
   eye[e].display->spiWrite(0); eye[e].display->spiWrite(SCREEN_HEIGHT - 1);

^

uncannyEyes:357: error: 'displayType {aka class Adafruit_SSD1351}' has no member named 'spiWrite'
   eye[e].display->spiWrite(0); eye[e].display->spiWrite(SCREEN_WIDTH  - 1);

^

uncannyEyes:357: error: 'displayType {aka class Adafruit_SSD1351}' has no member named 'spiWrite'
   eye[e].display->spiWrite(0); eye[e].display->spiWrite(SCREEN_WIDTH  - 1);

^

'displayType {aka class Adafruit_SSD1351}' has no member named 'spiWrite'

Dieser Bericht wäre detaillierter, wenn die Option
"Ausführliche Ausgabe während der Kompilierung"
in Datei -> Voreinstellungen aktiviert wäre.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Check that you have the latest Adafruit_SSD1351 and Adafruit_GFX libraries. There's been a lot of work in there recently, and I think spiWrite() might've accidentally been made a private function temporarily (should be public now, if using 1.3.6).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”