FTDI cable, huzzah, trinket pro problem

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
darthjayhawk

FTDI cable, huzzah, trinket pro problem

Post by darthjayhawk »

I recently purchased an FTDI cable (#70), Huzzah ESP8266, and a Trinket Pro (and other items). Initially, I was unable to program the Huzzah or the Trinket Pro via the FTDI cable. The Trinket Pro worked fine via USB. I also tested the cable using one of your web pages. After a lot of frustration, I decided to try swapping the RX and TX lines from the cable using jumper wires, and everything started working.

It appears that either the cable I recieved is wired incorrectly, or both the Huzzah and the Trinket Pro are wired incorrectly. I would suggest that the appropriate web pages be updated to warn others of this problem, and/or whichever of these products is incorrect be corrected.

Otherwise, great products!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: FTDI cable, huzzah, trinket pro problem

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It sounds like the cable you received was wired incorrectly. This is not a problem we have seen before. I'll have our QA team look into this.

Can you post a photo of the header end of the cable?

darthjayhawk

Post by darthjayhawk »

Here is the picture:
ftdi_cable.jpg
ftdi_cable.jpg (985.85 KiB) Viewed 366 times

adafruit_support_bill

That looks correct - at least as far as wire-colors go. Is this the original state, or after you swapped Rx/Tx?

dhalbert

Post by dhalbert »

It's also possible that there's a swap at the other end, due to a soldering mistake. I have a working FTDI cable, and took pictures of the connections at the USB end. The plastic cover is two pieces just press-fit together. I just inserted a thin knife blade and twisted slightly to take the halves apart. Nothing broke in the process, and i was able to reassemble it easily. The halves are not symmetrical: one has extra pegs in the middle to support the board. Here are pictures of the connections on my working cable. They're a little blurry, but you can see the colors.
ftdi-123.jpg
ftdi-123.jpg (64.88 KiB) Viewed 332 times
ftdi-456.jpg
ftdi-456.jpg (73.39 KiB) Viewed 332 times
(I am just a customer, not an Adafruit employee)
Last edited by dhalbert on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darthjayhawk

Post by darthjayhawk »

The first photo is in the original state, I used jumper wires to reverse the tx/rx.

It appears to be as you surmised, the yellow and orange wires are soldered incorrectly as you can see in this photo.
cable.jpg
cable.jpg (322.43 KiB) Viewed 323 times

darthjayhawk

Post by darthjayhawk »

adafruit_support_bill:

I am finally getting back to this. As you can see in the last picture I posted, the cable is wired incorrectly at the usb/ftdi end. It doesn't match the picture of a working cable that the other user posted. I am getting a bit tired of using the jumper wires in order to use it. Should I attempt to fix it myself, or will adafruit send me a replacement cable?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

adafruit_support_bill

This is fairly easy to fix. Just use a small screwdriver or other pointed object to release the pins from the connector shell and swap the wires.

Or if you prefer a replacement, please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”