Adafruit motor shields and slide potentiometers

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Vietcusc

Adafruit motor shields and slide potentiometers

Post by Vietcusc »

Dear admin,

In my work, I am using an Arduino Uno board with 03 adafruit motor shields to control 09 slidepotientiometers. I have a problem as following:
- When I was testing 04 dc motors bought from adafruit, It worked fine. But, when I was testing with 04 motors for each board in slidepotentiometers, it was not ok. These motors work slow and very slow. for 01 slide potientiometer is ok.
In adafruit motor shield, I put a jumper in UIN Jumper because I am using USB port for tranmission data from computer to arduino Uno and motor shields stacked together.
I think that these motors are not enought power to work, isn't it? Please help me to solve my problem because I really want to make a system work with many slide potientiometers.
the potientiometer : http://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/Po ... M9A0F.html
Thank you so much

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adafruit motor shields and slide potentiometers

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I put a jumper in UIN Jumper because I am using USB port for tranmission data from computer to arduino Uno and motor shields stacked together.
If you are powering the Arduino from the USB port, you will not get much from the VIN pin. The only power available on VIN is what leaks backward through the voltage regulator.

Do you have specifications for the slide-pot motors? That should help to estimate what kind of motor power supply you will require.

Vietcusc

Post by Vietcusc »

Dear Admin,

Unfortunately, I don't have a specification for slide pot motor. I just have some information belonging to alps link
http://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/Po ... M9A0F.html

Code: Select all

Electrical performance	
 - Total resistance tolerance	±20%
 - Maximum operating voltage	200V AC, 10V DC
 - Rated voltage of motor	10V DC
 - Maximum current of motor	800mA or less (at 10V DC)
 - Rated power	0.2W
 - Insulation resistance	100MΩ min. 250V DC
 - Voltage proof	250V AC for 1 minute
How can I do in this case? Should I use the power supply for each adafruit motorshield? or any other solutions?
Please help me...

adafruit_support_bill

The spec sheet says that the motors are rated for 10v max and will require 800mA each at 10v. At 5v, they will be pretty slow. And most USB ports are limited to 500mA.
We have a 9v supply, but at only 1000mA, it would only handle one motor at a time.
You could use a 12v supply and limit the average voltage to 10v by using the setSpeed() command. A max speed of 212 would keep the output voltage to a safe level for your motors.

This supply could drive 6 motors at a time. https://www.adafruit.com/products/352

Vietcusc

Post by Vietcusc »

Thank you for your help,
I have another question: When I stacked 03 adafruit motor shields into Arduino UNO for maximize of 12 slide-pot motors, belonging to your rely, should I use two 12V powers for them. Is it safe for motor shields?
So, how can I plug these powers because there is only one power plugged port from Arduino Uno? In future, If my system has more motors (about 64 slide-pot motors), it means I must use more than 10 powers, isn't it?

Thank you,

adafruit_support_bill

If you will be using multiple shields, the safest way is to have one power supply per shield. The 12v/5A power supply can power as many as 6 motors at a time. If you are not moving all of the motors at the same time, it may be OK to use one supply for 2 or more shields.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”