๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday January 20, 2020 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday January 17 will go out Tuesday January 21 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

can I use 2 AAA batteries (instead of 2 AA)?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

can I use 2 AAA batteries (instead of 2 AA)?

by treefrog on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Replacing the two AA batteries with two AAA ones would make the combined package quite a bit lighter and smaller. Is there any reason not to do that?

Treefrog

treefrog

Re: can I use 2 AAA batteries (instead of 2 AA)?

by jps2000 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:19 am

of course it is.
Otherwise there would be no reason to have larger batteries at all :-)
So it is the energy content which has to do with volume (mass) and the battery technology (e.g. lithium is better than NimH, than alkaline)
Considering a certain battery you have to look for battery capacity given in mAh. This is mA times hours at a rated voltage.
Note Volt * Amp * time = Watt * second and that is energy (Joule).
As a rough estimation you have to look for your current consumption of the device and how long it should operate. This gives the needed mAh (minimum).

A battery specifies this value at a rated current and temperature. So for example 1000mAh may be specified at 10mA for 100 hours but not for 1000mA 1 hour.
Current consumption of a device may vary a lot. So giving a try with a certain battery is a good idea to start with.

jps2000

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.