Timer Activation TVBGone

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Boogle

Timer Activation TVBGone

Post by Boogle »

I would like to add a timer to activate the TV B Gone. I can easily solder a pair of wires to essentially parallel the switch, but can you make any suggestions for a timer controlled relay or something, that can run off the 2 AA batteries?
It doesn't have to be anything fancy really, I just want to set it to countdown maybe 30 min or 60 min then activate the device.
I am travelling a lot now and I find it easier to fall asleep with the TV on when at a noisy BANNED and I think this might be a great option to leaving the TV going all night.
I could try to create a 555 timer circuit...maybe... but I am sure there is a cleaner and more elegant solution.
Thanks

mikeysklar

Re: Timer Activation TVBGone

Post by mikeysklar »

@Boogle,

Take a look at the TPL5110 which is a simple breakout board that can set a timer for 100ms to 2 hours.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3435

Boogle

Post by Boogle »

Thank you for the reply! I did see the TPL5110 on the website, but from the description this looked like a pulsing timer not a one shot with the intention of pulsing the power to lower the load power consumption. Maybe I just misread it. If it works as an interval pulse then wouldn’t it would turn the TV off after the first cycle and then turn it back on after the second cycle then off then on …
Maybe I just misread the description, can it function either as a pulse or one shot?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@Boogle,

You are right that the TPL5110 would probably not be ideal for a one time power off setting of 30 min - 60 min. It would be ideal if you wanted to power up the TVBGONE on a regular basis (every hour) to run the same command.

I would program one of our controllers to do the task. Maybe you can checkout our guide on the Circuit Playground Fading Hourglass circuit. It will not be the least expensive or basic solution, but it is a pretty cool control circuit that you could add a relay to and have a fading hour glass display on the built-in NeoPixels.

https://learn.adafruit.com/circuit-play ... -hourglass

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”